Sako Quick Detachable Mounts/Rings

Zeissman

Hi all,

Having recently had Leupold QR mounts/rings on a rifle, I was exceptionally impressed with their repeatability and return to zero. As I have Sakos on the whole, I wondered if anyone had any experience with the Optilock QR mounts which I don't think I have seen before? I remember a version where the whole mount could be removed from the rifle but not one which released only the rings (as in picture below) which seem much more interesting as a design.

Screen Shot 2017-10-10 at 17.35.18.png

All best,

Z.

Last edited:
They're certainly new to me.
I am an Optilock fan, and these seem a reasonable idea. However:
The special rings seem to start at 'low' - whereas I seem to be able to use 'extra low', or the one-piece ringmounts, with nearly all my 'scopes.
The 'return to zero' of ordinary Optilocks is in my experience pretty good anyway - both the ring/base combo and the ringmounts: notwithstanding that, I always check zero after swapping scopes anyway.

I do use these on my sako 85 223 and have no problems retaining zero when changing scopes over between the day scope and night vision scope

They do look pretty much identical to the Leupold version. What is the price difference? Being Optilock I imagine a fair bit more.

I tested this last year with the standard Optilocks; removed & replaced 3 times & tightened by hand. Sako 75 & S&B 6x42. The slightly higher shot was the first one from a cold, clean barrel. I don't find it too much trouble to carry an allen key.

repeatability test 170125 b.JPGrepeatability test 170125 e.JPG

Last edited:
..and by way of comparison here's how it shoots with the scope untouched. As before, the slightly higher shot is the first one from a cold, clean barrel. I adjusted the scope to shoot slightly lower after this hence the different points of impact in the comparison.

161206 Sako 100g.JPG

Last edited:
That is extraordinary. I never knew they had that sort of repeatability. Given their marginally lower profile, I might stick to normal Optilocks. My only gripe with the normal design is having to torque up the rings before mounting the mounts (which the qr Swain eliminates) and it can be hard to get the rings aligned properly. It apart from that, they really are excellent.

I tested this last year with the standard Optilocks; removed & replaced 3 times & tightened by hand. Sako 75 & S&B 6x42. The slightly higher shot was the first one from a cold, clean barrel. I don't find it too much trouble to carry an allen key.

View attachment 88625View attachment 88626

Optilock QR in the form pictured are the new sleaker design of bases

no different to Leupold and slightly higher in profile with a chunkier design in teh base (no required IMO)

I rate the Leupold QR system very highly

As above Optilocks are designed to have a windage adjustable and remove/refit element to them
Due to the recoil pin Torque and eye relief is not significant in the positioning of the bases which is a benefit and reduces return to zero

Still trying to source Sako Optilock QD mounts and rings (similar to the Leupold QD system) if anyone has any ideas on who might stock or import them?

All best,

Z.

Just in case anyone is interested in the Optilock QR system, I contacted Sako via facebook. I had this response:
[FONT=&quot]Hi, unfortunately we have had problems with the manufacturing of Optilock quick release products and I'm not able to give any detailed availability information. Your distributor will have the best knowledge of the availability so please contact them (GMK). With best regards,Sako[/FONT]

Back