Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Next Visit to RSA

Next Visit to RSA

I have just booked flights for my next visit to RSA. Red Lechwe, Better Impala, Pigs and Baboons are on the menu, maybe a Bushbuck too. Details will follow.

Here are some of last years.

The trophy Boschendal was the best tasting, though the ostrich came a close second!!

Thanks for posting SWild.

Looks a great trip.

Nice looking rifle set up.

Are you able to give us some details on the rifle and scope etc?

Suere John2. The rifle is one built on a Remington action by Mike Norris. It has a Pac-Nor barrel (25", three groove rifling, five flute, 1 in 9 twist), McMillan Lazeroni thumbhole stock, Jewel Trigger, Sako extractor and fitted with a Jet Z Moderator. Calibre is 7mm Rem Mag. The metal parts have been duracoated. The scope is a NightForce NXS 5-22 x 50 with an NP2DD reticle. Mike developed a load for me using 140gn Nosler Partition bullets at 3150ft/sec. Mike can get sub half minute of angle groups and I can consistantly get sub minute of angle groups and occasionaly better if I am having a good day. The scope is fitted with a Kenton Industries Elevation Turret, graduated in 25 yard increments out to 1000yds. Just range your target, dial up the distance and shoot. It works very well and I am pleased with it. The only downside is that it is a tad heavy and long and if moving through thick brush it can be a bit of a chore, especially if the bi pod is fitted. However, I use it and like it so the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Thanks swild

yes it looks the business

didn't know ki did turrets for the nxs

I will have a look into that for myself

cheers

jon

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzwild View Post
    Suere John2. The rifle is one built on a Remington action by Mike Norris. It has a Pac-Nor barrel (25", three groove rifling, five flute, 1 in 9 twist), McMillan Lazeroni thumbhole stock, Jewel Trigger, Sako extractor and fitted with a Jet Z Moderator. Calibre is 7mm Rem Mag. The metal parts have been duracoated. The scope is a NightForce NXS 5-22 x 50 with an NP2DD reticle. Mike developed a load for me using 140gn Nosler Partition bullets at 3150ft/sec. Mike can get sub half minute of angle groups and I can consistantly get sub minute of angle groups and occasionaly better if I am having a good day. The scope is fitted with a Kenton Industries Elevation Turret, graduated in 25 yard increments out to 1000yds. Just range your target, dial up the distance and shoot. It works very well and I am pleased with it. The only downside is that it is a tad heavy and long and if moving through thick brush it can be a bit of a chore, especially if the bi pod is fitted. However, I use it and like it so the pluses outweigh the minuses.
    Hello Schwarzwild,
    Do you know where I could get some info on the Kenton Industries elevation turret, Thanks

I got back yesterday from a 15 day hunting trip to South Africa, mostly up in the Free State and Limpopo provinces. The first week was mostly plains game hunting and the second week was taken up with competing in the South African Sport Jag Association's first International Challenge Hunt, including both open veldt hunting (loooong shots in strong winds) and high veldt bush hunting (thorns, thorns and more thorns), plus various wet / dry wing hunts and a day of range competitions / clay shooting.

My final tally was Blue Wildebeest bull, Black Wildebeest cow, Impala rams x 2, Impala ewe, Springbok rams x 2, Springbok ewe, Blesbok rams x 3, male Ostrich, female Warthog and some critters. I missed the chance of a Red Hartebeest bull the first week and could have taken a lot more trophies if the budget had stretched.

I'm going back in May with my 13 year old son for some social hunting with the Sport Jag boys to bag a Kudu bull, Gemsbok cow and possibly an Eland, as well as going on a dedicated Baboon hunt over the border in Botswana.

Brilliant country for hunting!

Adam.

Some good trips there well done, its 12 months since we were there, fab place and very difficult hunting.

smithy

Quote Originally Posted by Schwarzwild View Post
    Thanks very much it looks interesting

I've been a regular visitor to RSA since 1981 and have hunted there once or twice a year since 1997. I agree. Wonderful country and wonderful hunting.