Next Visit to RSA

Schwarzwild

I have just booked flights for my next visit to RSA. Red Lechwe, Better Impala, Pigs and Baboons are on the menu, maybe a Bushbuck too. Details will follow.

Here are some of last years.

GavinDavidOstrich.jpg

2009018.jpg

2009081.jpg

The trophy Boschendal was the best tasting, though the ostrich came a close second!!

Thanks for posting SWild.

Looks a great trip.

Nice looking rifle set up.

Are you able to give us some details on the rifle and scope etc?

Suere John2. The rifle is one built on a Remington action by Mike Norris. It has a Pac-Nor barrel (25", three groove rifling, five flute, 1 in 9 twist), McMillan Lazeroni thumbhole stock, Jewel Trigger, Sako extractor and fitted with a Jet Z Moderator. Calibre is 7mm Rem Mag. The metal parts have been duracoated. The scope is a NightForce NXS 5-22 x 50 with an NP2DD reticle. Mike developed a load for me using 140gn Nosler Partition bullets at 3150ft/sec. Mike can get sub half minute of angle groups and I can consistantly get sub minute of angle groups and occasionaly better if I am having a good day. The scope is fitted with a Kenton Industries Elevation Turret, graduated in 25 yard increments out to 1000yds. Just range your target, dial up the distance and shoot. It works very well and I am pleased with it. The only downside is that it is a tad heavy and long and if moving through thick brush it can be a bit of a chore, especially if the bi pod is fitted. However, I use it and like it so the pluses outweigh the minuses.

Thanks swild

yes it looks the business

didn't know ki did turrets for the nxs

I will have a look into that for myself

cheers

jon

Suere John2. The rifle is one built on a Remington action by Mike Norris. It has a Pac-Nor barrel (25", three groove rifling, five flute, 1 in 9 twist), McMillan Lazeroni thumbhole stock, Jewel Trigger, Sako extractor and fitted with a Jet Z Moderator. Calibre is 7mm Rem Mag. The metal parts have been duracoated. The scope is a NightForce NXS 5-22 x 50 with an NP2DD reticle. Mike developed a load for me using 140gn Nosler Partition bullets at 3150ft/sec. Mike can get sub half minute of angle groups and I can consistantly get sub minute of angle groups and occasionaly better if I am having a good day. The scope is fitted with a Kenton Industries Elevation Turret, graduated in 25 yard increments out to 1000yds. Just range your target, dial up the distance and shoot. It works very well and I am pleased with it. The only downside is that it is a tad heavy and long and if moving through thick brush it can be a bit of a chore, especially if the bi pod is fitted. However, I use it and like it so the pluses outweigh the minuses.
Hello Schwarzwild,
Do you know where I could get some info on the Kenton Industries elevation turret, Thanks

I got back yesterday from a 15 day hunting trip to South Africa, mostly up in the Free State and Limpopo provinces. The first week was mostly plains game hunting and the second week was taken up with competing in the South African Sport Jag Association's first International Challenge Hunt, including both open veldt hunting (loooong shots in strong winds) and high veldt bush hunting (thorns, thorns and more thorns), plus various wet / dry wing hunts and a day of range competitions / clay shooting.

My final tally was Blue Wildebeest bull, Black Wildebeest cow, Impala rams x 2, Impala ewe, Springbok rams x 2, Springbok ewe, Blesbok rams x 3, male Ostrich, female Warthog and some critters. I missed the chance of a Red Hartebeest bull the first week and could have taken a lot more trophies if the budget had stretched.

I'm going back in May with my 13 year old son for some social hunting with the Sport Jag boys to bag a Kudu bull, Gemsbok cow and possibly an Eland, as well as going on a dedicated Baboon hunt :evil: over the border in Botswana.

Brilliant country for hunting!

Adam.

Some good trips there well done, its 12 months since we were there, fab place and very difficult hunting.

smithy

I've been a regular visitor to RSA since 1981 and have hunted there once or twice a year since 1997. I agree. Wonderful country and wonderful hunting.

This sure is wetting the apetite Swild, I have been to SA every yr for the past 6 yrs but have had to give it a miss this year due to a recent job change. But will be on the first plain out of here come the end of the Pheasant season:thumb: Agree with you Wonderful country with something for everyone.

Never rearly hunted as such apart from a bit of Dove, Francolin and Guinea fowl. Trouble is here in the UK I'm a gamekeeper so when I can go to SA ie Feb/ March things are out of season. I have a house in a place called Marloth Park which is in between Nelspruit and Komatipoort so I like to try and get to that as often as I can. Have traveled around Capetown, durban, karoo etc and would like to try Swaziland this february. One day Ihope to manage to be able to do a bit of hunting while there but untill then I'll just have to keep shooting with my camera! 20090407_0192.JPG20090327_0019.JPG20090327_0053.JPG20090327_0125.JPG
pencil.png

I understand about the restrictions on travel due to your job Groat. Marloth Park? That the one on the South end of the Tibavati? Nearest I have hunted to there is in Nylstoom, Limpopo now but used to be called Northern Territory. Most of my hunting is now done in the Eastern Cape, as I have a commercial relationship with an outfitter there.

I have visited Jo' burg, Pretoria, Cape Town, Durban areas on business. When I go to hunt, I always take a week in Franschhoek and Cape Town. Franschhoek for the wineries and the excellent restaurants and Cape Town for some shopping.

I would like to visit Swaziland too. I've been talking to an outfitter in Polokwane about a buffalo next year, so Swaziland could be a side trip. Hope you have a good season.

Groat, small world, I was in Marloth just over a year ago!

Hand fed zebra, warthog and kudu with apples! Amazing scenery there too.

Groat, small world, I was in Marloth just over a year ago!

Hand fed zebra, warthog and kudu with apples! Amazing scenery there too.

rarms, what took you to tha part of the world? The first time I went there was around 7 yrs ago to my Brother-in-laws 50th, I fell in love with the place and 2 years later ended up buying a house there, can't wait to get back to warm the old bones through again :) The Kudu Bull picture was taken yards from my front door.

I can't wait to go back - I want a really good Gemsbok next time and I'd like to do more thick-veldt hunting for Warthog (despite the ******* thorns!). Here's a some pictures from the 2010 trip:

Africa2010013.jpg

Africa2010005.jpg

Africa2010006.jpg

Hi,

Do yourself a favor when your next in SA and stalk bushpig at night without baiting them. Best in sugar cane fields in Natal. V. exciting as i've done it a number of times have got a few contacts if interested.

Regards
Bushpig

I have just booked flights for my next visit to RSA. Red Lechwe, Better Impala, Pigs and Baboons are on the menu, maybe a Bushbuck too. Details will follow.

Here are some of last years.

GavinDavidOstrich.jpg

2009018.jpg

2009081.jpg

The trophy Boschendal was the best tasting, though the ostrich came a close second!!

very nice pics !!
waterbucks are a beutiful animal!
I was in rsa on safari in 2000, awesome hunting trip!
cant wait to return to africa! woyld like to try namibia next!!

Back