Thread: Roe Head

Roe Head

Is it possible to get a Roe head assessed if it was head shot? Do you need all the skull intack or an an allowance be made once the volume of the Antlers is known.

Pete

If the top of the skull has held together ok you could try and cut it short nose and deduct the 90 grams.

Whoever was silly enough to head shoot a potential medal class buck might end up with a ruined trophy.

Mark.

The top of the head is together with around a third of the top of the skull left. The silly sod who shot it was me but it was a mate of mine who let me shoot it who needed to thin a few deer out and the only possible shot was a frontal head shot .

Pete

lucky man even getting the chance to shoot at a potentail medal head but will admit i personly would of left it for another day if head shot was my only option sorry to say
    scotty

the only gold medal head ive seen from cumbria was a head shot perfect round hole between the antlers and exit at the back the head was cut short

Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    the only gold medal head ive seen from cumbria was a head shot perfect round hole between the antlers and exit at the back the head was cut short
    One shot here in Cumbria by a friend many years ago.
    It was measured by the old master, the late G.Kenneth Whitehead.
    It was high Gold but I do not remember the score.
    HWH.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by swatty View Post
    Attachment 2279Attachment 2280
    You mean like this

But mine was only a cull buck and a murder buck that needed taking out
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 18-08-2010 at 06:55.

Quote Originally Posted by stag1933 View Post
    One shot here in Cumbria by a friend many years ago.
    It was measured by the old master, the late G.Kenneth Whitehead.
    It was high Gold but I do not remember the score.
    HWH.

Stag, Is that the head that appeared in one or two of Prior's books with the size attributed to its owner frequenting cattle salt licks? It looks very similar.

Novice

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    Stag, Is that the head that appeared in one or two of Prior's books with the size attributed to its owner frequenting cattle salt licks? It looks very similar.

Novice
    I have never read any of Richard Prior`s books but I suppose it may be the same one mentioned.
    This big laddie was shot at very last light, the stalker knew he had shot a buck but not the quality of it until he had it in hand.
    There was severe fraying damage on the area and any bucks seen were going to get flattened.
    The stalker was on his way home but stopped to glass that ground, the buck was seen and arrested.
    I remember some talk of mineral buckets for farm stock being in nearby fields.

HWH.