View Poll Results: Tumblers Or Ultrasonic Cleaners

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tumblers

8 42.11%
  • Ultrasonic Cleaners

11 57.89%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to clean shell cases..... Tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners???

Account Suspended

Best way to clean shell cases..... Tumblers or ultrasonic cleaners???

Hiya Guys,

I am getting myself into reloading and am considering how to best clean my shell cases.

Can you give me your opinion please.

Ultrasonic cleaners or shell case tumblers ???

Please give only your experiences and not hear say.

I use an Ultrasonic cleaner as it cleans inside case and primer pocket but I also use a tumbler afterwards for an hour as it makes them nice and shiny. Doesnt make any differance to accuracy but makes me feel confident and thats worth its weight in gold.

ultrasonics- I use the wifes jewellry cleaner- I don't believe that shiny cases shoot any better than ones cleaned by ultrasonics.... callie

Quote Originally Posted by lordy View Post
    I use an Ultrasonic cleaner as it cleans inside case and primer pocket but I also use a tumbler afterwards for an hour as it makes them nice and shiny. Doesnt make any differance to accuracy but makes me feel confident and thats worth its weight in gold.
    Whats an ultrasonic cleaner?

I use both!
    I feel that the ultrasonic cleaner cleans the inside and the primer pocket, which must lead to greater consistency than using cases that have residual build up in them. So I decap and u/s clean
    If I do a full length resize I will also tumble!
    If I had to choose only one method it would be the u/s

Hi i use the tumbler system but i would be interested in trying a ultrasonic system what price are they and where can i get one
    Andy

Hi andy, got my u/s cleaner off e-bay, 20+post, silver crest 47,000 vibes per sec, a single layer of 223 in tank(24in#) covered to a depth of 1/4" of coke, yes coke I use asda's cheapest, 2x8 min cycles in cleaner, rinse thoroughly, preheat oven for 15 mins then turn off put cases on cooking tray into oven to dry, remove when cool, nice clean cases inside and out, be advised do not put too much coke into cleaner as it froths rather violently for a few seconds, you'll notice after cleaning cycles coke and cases are warm, hope this helps ...callie

Bought a cheap ultrasonic cleaner in aldi years ago. I've never used my tumbler since.

I don't do the whole coke thing though; i just drop in a small squirt of fairy liquid.

Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    Hi andy, got my u/s cleaner off e-bay, 20+post, silver crest 47,000 vibes per sec, a single layer of 223 in tank(24in#) covered to a depth of 1/4" of coke, yes coke I use asda's cheapest, 2x8 min cycles in cleaner, rinse thoroughly, preheat oven for 15 mins then turn off put cases on cooking tray into oven to dry, remove when cool, nice clean cases inside and out, be advised do not put too much coke into cleaner as it froths rather violently for a few seconds, you'll notice after cleaning cycles coke and cases are warm, hope this helps ...callie
    white vinegar (approx 5% acetic acid) dilute 1:1 with water (I use heated US tank... 40 mins)
    Then 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda to 1L water to neutralise acid quick blow with air line then in oven at 90deg for an hour or so to dry completely.
    Tumbler to polish if I want shiny shiny!!! But I hate cleaning walnut from flash holes!!!!

Just a quick bit of advise with ultrasonics, best grease / crap cleaner additive is a puck of washing detergent bold persil lidl etc.
    Be careful of cleaning anodised parts (moderators etc), ultrasonics will lift the colour dye out!! (I know, have done it)
    You can get your paws on the dye to re-colour though!!!