Thread: buck fever

buck fever

well sadly i didn't manage a deer yet again last weekend but had the most thrilling encounter.
    i had set up shop on a known area where last time a saw a very nice buck in velvet.this time around 6.05 true to form he showed himself again chasing a doe.he ran about 100 yards when i gave a quick blast on the buttallo call and the next few minutes were the most intense moment in my life.he turned on a six pence and starting to gallop towards me must have come 50 yards but only his head and antlers were visible in the long grass and sadly i didn't manage a shot.
    my heart has necer pumped so hard in my life and while watching him through the scope my left leg started to tremble uncontrolably.i can honestly say in my years of shooting geese,pheasants and everything else that has never happend.
    i could have if i wanted taken a neck shot but i'm still new to stalking and waited for the perfect chest shot making sure of a clean kill sadly never happened but theres always next time.
    i guess thats what you call buck fever.

Exciting times Gelert, your time will come. ATB Rich

gelert
    4 sticks are very helpful in a situation like this. The sticks support the weight of the rifle and allow you to keep squeaking until you pull the trigger.
    Rgds
    JCS
    Last edited by jcampbellsmith; 17-08-2010 at 16:13. Reason: Added photo - not JCS.

hi,

that's buck fever al-right. there is nothing that can done about it. its a glorious feeling.

all i will say is next time ha ha

well done on the call about the neck shot.... if i where you i would tie your legs together when it comes to the shot ha ha will stop the trembles

frank

Quote Originally Posted by gelert View Post
    well sadly i didn't manage a deer yet again last weekend but had the most thrilling encounter.
    i had set up shop on a known area where last time a saw a very nice buck in velvet.this time around 6.05 true to form he showed himself again chasing a doe.he ran about 100 yards when i gave a quick blast on the buttallo call and the next few minutes were the most intense moment in my life.he turned on a six pence and starting to gallop towards me must have come 50 yards but only his head and antlers were visible in the long grass and sadly i didn't manage a shot.
    my heart has necer pumped so hard in my life and while watching him through the scope my left leg started to tremble uncontrolably.i can honestly say in my years of shooting geese,pheasants and everything else that has never happend.
    i could have if i wanted taken a neck shot but i'm still new to stalking and waited for the perfect chest shot making sure of a clean kill sadly never happened but theres always next time.
    i guess thats what you call buck fever.
    Your time will come, take my hat of to you for declining the neck shot With a attitude and Patience like yours you will do well. Look forward to your post an pics of success