ammo allowance

mickjgardner

just had my fac renewed and applied for a bigger ammo allowance as starting reloading.I currently can buy 100 and keep 150.Cnt remeber exactly what number i asked for but was something like buy 200 keep 300.Certtificate came back from thames valley with the old ammo allowance on.Phoned up tvp firearms dept and they told me i am not using up enough ammo to have my limit increased. So it seems if i wish to reload i am going to have to fire a lot more ammo down the range and into the ground

I had this trouble and its a bit of a joke at times. I know folk who have been told by tvp that there is no limit to how much you can buy...this was quite rightly proved wrong by a well known reloading supplier in your area. I asked my FAO in Dorset if I could increase my holding due to similar reasons to you, that being I just couldnt get hold of any of the bullet heads I wanted...sierra pro hunters 6.5 calibre. I explained I had done around 300 miles in wasted journeys to shops either in my area or 75 miles away, only to be told they had forgotten my order etc etc or teh supplier let them down. My FAO said to put that in writing as it was a ridiculas situation and I was granted my increase.
Maybe its an angle you could use? Dont however say you want an increase to buy in bulk to save you money, as thats not a valid reason. You can also say you are in the process of finding a suitable load for your gun and for that need to try two or three bullet heads...I was granted a .223 increase for that reason...you cant be epected to buy a bullet head you think will work, only to find it wont and be expected to use a bullet thats useless in your gun till they are all used up...then be expected to stasrt the process again until you find the right combination...could take years!

Pete

I'm TVP too. I can buy 200 and keep 250. This is my 1st fac and that was the amount they suggest to me which is more than enough for my needs.

I'm TVP too.
Just had a renewal and they asked why I haven't bought any bullets for ages, told them cos my mate does all the loading and I just give him the money for the tips ect.
They asked me to tell him to put the bullets on my ticket, told them no because he aint a RFD, they then said can I keep a spreadsheet of all the things I shoot on a n anual basis so they can see I have a need for my 6.5, told them no too that too cos I aint coming in at 4am and getting on the PC.
Reloading solutions don't even put the noses on ya ticket unless you ask.

They asked me to tell him to put the bullets on my ticket, told them no because he aint a RFD

Is that correct? A while since I've done it, but I think when I helped out a pal with 40rnds .308 a bit ago I wrote them on his ticket. I'd have though that if he's supplying you with ammunition, then he'd have to write it on your FAC as supplied regardless of the nature of the supply.

Indeed, I'm about to obtain some rifles and ammunition from a chap who is giving up his ticket, and surely he will enter both the ammuntion as well as the rifles on mine despite his just being an ordinary FAC-holder?

I'm confused!

Must say it is the first time i have had a problem with tvp and have dealt with them for well over 20 yrs,Really cant be bothered to fight it,will just give up on the idea of reloading but bloody stupid rules if you ask me.Pity shops dont sell heads in batches of 50 so as you can experiment a bit.there again why should shops have to change to suit senseless rules

hi,

having read many many threads on i have a restriction i need a mentor i cant buy more than 100 rounds etc...
the same answer seems to be, i told the feo to do this and i said to the firearms licencing dept this,
see my feo when he came he asked me what i was going to do where and how often, when i needed to contact lothian police firearms i said sir yes sir....

imho you guys (sorry for the designation (english)) dont have the same relationship i/we do with our feos here north of the border (sorry for the designation (scottish))

i would never tell either what to do nor say no to any of their requests...
remember they have something you dont, the power to grant/refuse your requests........

good luck to you all in your endeavours

f,

Dalua you are correct, all transactions/transfers of ammunition should be entered onto your ticket the FAC holder just uses his FAC no instead of an RFD no. I would say that Les and his mate were lucky not to have their knuckles severely rapped on this one.

Dalua you are correct, all transactions/transfers of ammunition should be entered onto your ticket the FAC holder just uses his FAC no instead of an RFD no. I would say that Les and his mate were lucky not to have their knuckles severely rapped on this one.
We have just got a new Fao, my old one was brilliant, knew him for 20 odd years, mentored around 12 people and he knew what I did.
As for the original post I only have buy 150 and store 160 for my 6.5
Everybody that home loads probaly makes more than they should;)

i would never tell either what to do nor say no to any of their requests...
remember they have something you dont, the power to grant/refuse your requests........

Have to disagree with that one.

They are public servants paid from the public purse. They are there to administer the Firearms Act not make up their own interpretation of it - and they know it. If anyone has a genuine reason to possess a firearm or ammunition or use it in a certain way, then provided it satisfies the criteria of the Act, the FEO/FLO and ultimately the CC must approve the issue of the FAC or be prepared to justify in court why they didn't.

Applicants rolling over and putting up with stupid conditions or miserly ammo allowances just makes them think they can continue to get away with it.

A pity that the OP hasn't taken them to task over his ammo allowance because even the HO Guidance at 13.28 will back him up:

Deer stalkers will normally be
authorised to possess up to 250 rounds of
ammunition and to acquire 200 rounds but
account should be taken of individual
circumstances, for example where re-loaders
are acquiring missiles or where the shooter is
a professional deer stalker.

Double the amounts quoted above should normally be considered viable if handloading.

intersting stuff,
check out the home office guidelines for police, it states 250 rnds is not an unreasonble amout for a stalker and more if he home loads.

There seems to be the opinion that you have to jump through hoops for flo's ,
learn what your entitled to , quote them on it, if they still say no ask for it in writting within 21 days, and tell them you will protest it.
99% of the time they will back down as alot of them appear to like the power they think they have.

Same as for this new condition with 6 months being mentored, where does it say that in the guidlines?

its in the national archives home office guidlines will look for link.

intersting stuff,
check out the home office guidelines for police, it states 250 rnds is not an unreasonble amout for a stalker and more if he home loads.

There seems to be the opinion that you have to jump through hoops for flo's ,
learn what your entitled to , quote them on it, if they still say no ask for it in writting within 21 days, and tell them you will protest it.
99% of the time they will back down as alot of them appear to like the power they think they have.

Same as for this new condition with 6 months being mentored, where does it say that in the guidlines?

its in the national archives home office guidlines will look for link.
+1
FAO's sometimes need to learn that they work for us and without us they have no job

Correct !
I load for four other persons and enter the ammo on their certs which proves to the Police that they are using their weapons.
I have 5 c/f rifles and 1 rimfire and am personally allowed to posess 500 and purchase 300 of each calibre.
Here in Cumbria dealers enter projectiles on your ticket and some places I have used elsewhere have done the same.
I have had my permit since 1951 and have had NO problems with our Police.

HWH.

I have 500 270 and 300 22/250
and 1000 rounds of R/F om mine:D

I used to have as required on it at one time:lol:

Last edited:
Correct !
I load for four other persons and enter the ammo on their certs which proves to the Police that they are using their weapons.
I have 5 c/f rifles and 1 rimfire and am personally allowed to posess 500 and purchase 300 of each calibre.
Here in Cumbria dealers enter projectiles on your ticket and some places I have used elsewhere have done the same.

HWH.

Well you wouldnt have any problems would you Hubert as you practically wrote the book on it:D I thought the Home Office come to you seeking advice on what you thought:rofl:

Last edited:
Well you wouldnt have any problems would you Hubert as you practically wrote the book on it:D I thought the Home Office come to you seeking advice on what you thought:rofl:

Many years ago I applied for the vacant FEO post at Headquarters but was told by a senior officer that I would NOT get the job as they wanted `a clone`for the job !!!

HWH.

Correct !

HWH.
So how would you manage then if you needed to load 200 bullets for each of the 4 people you supply, surely you'd be breaking the law by having so many bullets?

Many years ago I applied for the vacant FEO post at Headquarters but was told by a senior officer that I would NOT get the job as they wanted `a clone`for the job !!!

HWH.

Well that counts you out then dosent it:D Your name starts with an H and ends in an H

If they were looking for A C*nt you could have ginen me a shout I could have applied.

Stu

Last edited:
So how would you manage then if you needed to load 200 bullets for each of the 4 people you supply, surely you'd be breaking the law by having so many bullets?

No problem !
We are serious hunters not bullet wasters . I usually make up a 50 box for the chap with the .30 cal. as he lives further away and less for the local lads with their .243s .
They can give me a ring and pop over anytime and as MY load shoots well in their rifles I always have some ready in stock anyway .

HWH.

Back