Finnfire P94S Barrel Change

bryn

I’ve just acquired a shorter barrel for my original finnfire P94s varmint. Does anyone know a reasonably simple and accurate method of changing the barrel.

Thanks
bryn

I trust you have the headspace gauges for the correct fitment of the new barrel?
I hope the spare barrel is on your FAC!

I was rather hoping someone may just answer the original post

Easy..... take the action out of the stock, you should find 2 hex screws (5mm I think) clamping the barrel in place. You’ll need a long Allen key to undo those as they’re pretty tight and to give you better control.

Swap the 2 barrels aligning the extractor groove with the bolt. Insert a fired case into the chamber, stick the bolt in and with the assembly vertical and just the weight of your arm on the barrel holding it against the bolt...re-tighten the 2 bolts.

Your arm pressure is enough to headspace it off the rim of the fired case and still give enough feel to the bolt. You ‘might’ have to re-visit if you change ammo manufacturer.

I got a .17mach2 barrel from Richard Pope at Swift Precision but he also does .22’s etc......and I’ve stuck 100’s nay, 1000’s of rounds, through these using this headspace method.

There was a thread years ago where someone had drilled 2 corresponding holes in their stock so they didn’t have to faff about removing the action from the stock.

Cheers,

Fizz

Easy..... take the action out of the stock, you should find 2 hex screws (5mm I think) clamping the barrel in place. You’ll need a long Allen key to undo those as they’re pretty tight and to give you better control.

Swap the 2 barrels aligning the extractor groove with the bolt. Insert a fired case into the chamber, stick the bolt in and with the assembly vertical and just the weight of your arm on the barrel holding it against the bolt...re-tighten the 2 bolts.

Your arm pressure is enough to headspace it off the rim of the fired case and still give enough feel to the bolt. You ‘might’ have to re-visit if you change ammo manufacturer.

I got a .17mach2 barrel from Richard Pope at Swift Precision but he also does .22’s etc......and I’ve stuck 100’s nay, 1000’s of rounds, through these using this headspace method.

There was a thread years ago where someone had drilled 2 corresponding holes in their stock so they didn’t have to faff about removing the action from the stock.

Cheers,

Fizz

Fizz
Just what I’m after, thats very kind of you to take the time.

Thanks
bryn

Fizz
Just what I’m after, thats very kind of you to take the time.

Thanks
bryn

No problem Brynn, if I could find the hex key I’d confirm the size.... might be a 6mm ottomh now I think about it.....found it.... 6” 5mm, standard L shaped key.

Tightening it back up doesn’t need massive effort... Richard Pope might be able to give you a specific torque but it isn’t necessary....just don’t try and force it through the other side. Firm, as opposed to gorilla :rofl:

The reason I say this is because I junked my original F’fire action by just giving the clamp bolts on a Sportsmatch one-piece mount an extra tweak....the action cracked along the line of the dovetail V into the chamber. ‘Course that put it out of proof but I was lucky enough to acquire another rifle at a decent price....expensive lesson.

Cheers

Fizz

Last edited:
hi bryn, I have a no go gauge for my finnfire, if you want to borrow it I will send it to you as long as you post it back to me, but changing barrels on a finnfire is a 5 minute job. dave.

hi bryn, I have a no go gauge for my finnfire, if you want to borrow it I will send it to you as long as you post it back to me, but changing barrels on a finnfire is a 5 minute job. dave.

Thanks Dave,
I’m going to give the Fizz method a go and see how that works, my concern will be if the accuracy suffers. At the minute with the standard 24inch varmint barrel it is a tack driver and a joy to shoot considering it was manufactured in 2003, so fingers crossed with the new 16 1/2 inch barrel it will be the same.

Very much obliged to both you and Fizz

bryn

Last edited:
Will the standard and varmint barrels fit in the same receiver?

Same receiver yes, the barrel spigot is common. The difference is in the shape of the stock....and the barrel channels are different between the three versions... Hunter, Varmint, Match(whatever size barrel that takes)

The Hunter stock channel is 20mm wide at the fore end tip and its 25mm on the Varmint.

I did try both .22 barrels and as there was sod all difference in accuracy I stuck with the Sporter in standard length... good enough to dop rabbits at 190m. The Mach2 barrel is 16" though.

cheers

Fizz
:cool:

Last edited:
Thanks to all those who gave helpful posts in particular Fizz, Dave and Provamint. I put on the “new” barrel using the method described by fizz and others, as you can see from the pic it works a treat and thats a 50 yard zero.

Much Appreciated
bryn

best .22 ever. 16" on mine.
I also have a spare varmint stock with a rail underneath if anyone is interested...

Back