Portable High seat

Mannlicher_Stu

Last edited:
Stu

I like the design concept but.........................I have a couple of questions.

What do you actually sit on and how do you get into the seat? As it looks as if the ladder is fixed to the rear of the seat back support.

Last edited:
The seat is positioned at the top rail hung on hindges and has a large hole through the centre and you perch on the outer rim like a big polo mint and your feet is supported on the swivel bar where the main frame pivots, if i get time i will do some additional pics but it may be a few weeks before i am up there again. I do need to do some minor design elements on it before i make a few more mostly to do with additional steel pivots as they want to be out of angle iron instead of strap steel the leverage is sufficient to bend them a little so need beefing up but a small technicality .

Seems like a lot of hard work and messing about for such a simple construction
why put wheel barrow wheels on it and not some flotation tyres so you can drag it easier over the wet and rough or even then hook it upto a quad providing you hav one
as all this metal work must start adding a bit of weight by now and by the time you hav a beast or 2 your rifle and back pack
that will be some walk back to the motor dragging that lot back
braver man than thy
but good luck with your venture anyway

Last edited:
The seat is positioned at the top rail hung on hindges and has a large hole through the centre and you perch on the outer rim like a big polo mint and your feet is supported on the swivel bar where the main frame pivots, if i get time i will do some additional pics but it may be a few weeks before i am up there again. I do need to do some minor design elements on it before i make a few more mostly to do with additional steel pivots as they want to be out of angle iron instead of strap steel the leverage is sufficient to bend them a little so need beefing up but a small technicality .

Stu

Should have said before. Great high seat design. Just what I've been looking for. Cheap, easy to build and easily transportable.

Thanx for the explanation.

A couple of design suggestions.

1. Make the pivots out of short lengths of Dexion. Simply cut the top, bend to 90deg's and paint with Hammerite. That why you get multiple fixing locations and can cross brace if you feel it necessary without wheeling out the mig welder. You can weld the joint and brace if you really think it necessary. I wouldn't.

2. Make the seat bottom in 2 pieces, fix one side and hinge the other. or hinge both sides. That way you can have a solid seat base and do away with the polo mint. Allowing you to loose the cause of pressure points due to the lack of a middle. There by aiding long term comfort.

Stick with your wheel barrow wheel design modification. I have found that there really is no need for flotation tyres 98% of the time on high seats as you can still tow using a quad. You just have to back off the throttle and ride according to the ground conditions.

Last edited:
Stu
I don't normaly offer such tips to just anyone, but as I like the idea of some one else doing something for others
you may want to look at this Idea if your using wheel barrow tyres
Basically simple design for suspension and easy ride for rough terrain with constant mobility with least effort

IMG_1876.jpg

Twin wheel on an axle which revolves 360" bit like a big wheel at the fairground, attached with a central pivot point to what ever , these are on a go anywhere trolley I am building
IMG_1879.jpg

as you hit an obstacle it just rises up and climbs over instead of try to bounce it up so movement is continual
especialy as you intend to drag
I hav used a fence post in the pic below as it was handy, but originaly it was designed to go up and down kerbs and over rough ground carrying a bit of weight
IMG_1878.jpg

ATB

Like it:)

What happens dragging it over boggy ground though ,do the wheels not sink in or with them being in a tandem like they are does this stop it. good idea though I am impressed on how it jockeys over obsticles.

Stu

No offense Stu,

But that's not a particularly good design - the lack of cross bracing will prove detrimental to stability.

Stu

the tyre widths are the main issuse as there is a lot of surface area to spread the weight and being in tandem it helps reduce the sinking effect a lot more, but it will also slide over top instead of dragging through much more than with a single trye
but in truth if I had to deal with boggy ground anyway I would use this type of portable high seat
lot less hassle :D
P1010583.jpg

Stu
I don't normaly offer such tips to just anyone, but as I like the idea of some one else doing something for others
you may want to look at this Idea if your using wheel barrow tyres
Basically simple design for suspension and easy ride for rough terrain with constant mobility with least effort

Its simply a cheap bog basic live axle set up. Your main problem will be the weakness of the stub axles. Especially if you intend on carrying anything of any weight. Swap out those crappy plastic trolley wheels for something decent and beef things up a bit and you might have something worth using. But I doubt it.;)

No offense Stu,

But that's not a particularly good design - the lack of cross bracing will prove detrimental to stability.

Your entitled to your opinion but it served me well now with the guy ropes on and I have been using it for over 18 months without any problems.
Kind Regards
Stu

Back