Africa taxidermist

No disrespect to any of the posters but all this talk about a bleached skull, cleaned boiled out and not on a plaque being considered not finished is B////cks. Certificates for raw skins that are dipped and dried is one thing, yes they are raw skins and unfinished, but cleaned skulls. Strikes me this is just another way of ripping people off big time.

I use K.G. Logistics in Kent, always have done, never had a problem.

I would add that over the past few years I have heard and seen more and more people having difficulty shipping their trophies back. Back in the early 1990's we had some of these delightful taxidermy companies in Africa spraying peoples raw skin trophies with Formaldehyde. This rendered them useless to mount as they go like sheet steel and will not rehydrate, I know this for a fact.

Either way most taxidermists in Africa do not like loosing the work, and getting anything shipped back can be a real issue at times.

Malcolm I hear what you are saying but it is not the shippers doing this it is the UK government. No matter who I use for shipping I will definately make sure any bleached skulls are labelled skull mount and fixed to a piece of plywood.

Sorry you have me slightly confused. why would there be a charge of £354 for a cleaned and bleached skull from Africa?? Something I have never seen or heard of before in many years of dealing with African trophies and importation.

Trouble is African taxidermists are a mixed bunch. Some are very good, most are only after a quick pay off and the freight companies are now starting to charge stupid money. I have just helped one client out with his freight charges, managed to shave off a further £120 for a few skulls and a Steinbok mount for SA.

Couldn’t agree more Malc, it was 3 skull mounts two small shoulder mounts and ostrich leather (a small crate)..... Rex freight quoted me £660 just to get it to the U.K. that’s with no customs clearance.... Gavin quoted £525 door to door. As it happened its reliveafrica who did my work.... my advice to anyone wishing to bring there trophy’s back is to arrange shipping from the U.K. Trust me once you’ve payed your taxidermist they won’t help after with shipping issues!

Thanks again Malc for helping me with this nightmare

Malcolm I hear what you are saying but it is not the shippers doing this it is the UK government. No matter who I use for shipping I will definately make sure any bleached skulls are labelled skull mount and fixed to a piece of plywood.

I am not so sure, I know of another person who about a year ago paid just under 6k to ship a tanned Elephant skin back to the UK. They drove it by road from Zim to SA, then flew it round the bl///dy world to arrive in the UK. The charges were horrific.

In the past there was also a number of issues with some taxidermists in Africa spraying untanned hides with neat formaldehyde. This renders them useless to tanning and mounting. I think its a lottery when going to Africa these days and getting your trophies back, many are just getting greedy out there. What many don't realise is that the PH or Game ranch are on a percentage a lot of the time with the taxidermist company.

There are some very good taxidermists in parts of Africa, but some of the prices for putting some dried skins and bleached skulls in a box are getting stupid.

Back