Howa barreled action?

scotch_egg

I have got a friend after his first stalking rifle. The Howa's are great except for the hogue stocks.

So my question is can you buy just the barreled action?

Thanks in advance

Dave

You used to be able to buy these as barrelled actions when Brian Fox imported them, unsure if the current importers will do the same.

Like the Rem 700's SPS stocks, the hogue stocks should, if you intend to restock immediately be considered as a throw away part,

I asked a local dealer about a barreled action only. He said the importers would discount the rifle price about £20 when not supplying a Hogue stock, as this was all it cost them.

I remember an advert in the past few weeks for Howa Barreled actions, maybe Sporting Rifle?

If they would supply these with a barrel cut and threaded at 20" they would get a lot of takers. Rifle barrels at 22-24" are just too long for UK use with a mod. Should retail for well under £500.

I can well believe the stocks cost them £20. They must me making a killing on these rifles.

If only they were supplied with a Bell and Carlson. These rifles could clean up.

Who are the current importers they may be worth a call to see what they can offer.

Highland Outdoors I believe are the current importers who also import the Nikko Sterling scopes.

You mean that bit on plakky cost as much as £20? :eek:

Order a barreled action (although how long it'll take to get it is anyone's guess), and the a stock to fit from Boyd's Gunstocks in the US. They are under $100 so don't attract import duty, just tax and a Royal Mail handling fee. They will ship to UK.

Having checked, I now know that actions are available through the UK importers.

Thats unbarrelled actions - so its trade / gunsmith / barrel - proof and then on to ticket.

Howa barreled actions are popular in my neck of the prairie. MSRP on a 6.5x55 (7-08, etc) is $389 but the dealers will sell them at "cost-plus" if you pay them up front so they cost a little over $300 US. I have wanted another "modern" 6.5x55 and may go that route.

Boyds Stocks however, cost far more than $35!! Closer to $200!~Muir

Are these Hogue stocks really that bad ? I thought they had allumiun beddings blocks, free floating barrel , etc.......

I like the rubbery surface, but the standard ones are bendy, the ones with the full aluminium bedding blocks are probably better, but then they're heavy!

Are these Hogue stocks really that bad ? I thought they had allumiun beddings blocks, free floating barrel , etc.......

:rofl: Oh no the dreaded floating barrel syndrome strikes again..... :p..

Plastics are often heavier than wood but of course are much cheaper to make in most cases and so there is far more profit to be had. The REAL reason for plastic stocks...................................... = More profit.

The original Howa stocks are plastic and really crap!
However, I used a Hogue one for years and was very impressed with it. For someone starting off they are ideal!
I know several people that use them and all seem happy with them. Try it - you may like it!;)
MS:)

The FBB ( full bedding block) version of the Hogue stock is a realy good and in expensive stock for a hunting rifle, and they aren't that heavy realy. Most factory rifles at the cheaper end of the market come in crappy stocks.
Barreled actions are available ( we get a half dozen to a dozen in every 4 to 6 weeks) half get stripped for semi custom builds, the other hald get tuned a bit, put in a decent stock and sold on. I do realy rate the howa action, its a very strong, well made design.

I wish Tikka would do barreled actions, but they wont, I asked, even if I buy 30 at a time.

rgds Pete

gents i have a weatherby / howa, in 308 i had a standard wood stock and has been knocked about a bit over time i also have brought a thumb hole stock from boyds and i must say they are not a bad bit of kit for 100 quid delivered to the door, and the wood to metal finish is superb i cannot fault it !!
i have also bedded the stock useing devcon and have ordered a timney trigger from the states for 100 quid also
cheers jewfish.

Attachments

• new stock 008.jpg
    new stock 008.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 23
Back