Advice sought: new stock for a Tikka M65

Youngjm

Hello,

Just looking for some advice please.

I have a gorgeous a gorgeous Tikka M65 in .308 (think it is the continental model with heavier barrel and fancier woodwork). It is in excellent nick and has a lovely action. However, I find it tough to shoot. Having pondered why for some time I reaslised (after shouldering the rifle in the mirror) the main problem seems to be the stock. My cheek weld is inconsistent (I feel the comb is far too low) and the trigger feels far to close to my shoulder. I am 6' 1" so maybe that has made it worse?

I have tried a comb raiser but that hasn't really solved the issue. I think my only real option is to try a new stock. I would prefer a synthetic stock anyway as I see my rifles as tools rather than ornaments, though each to their own.

I don't feel drawn to a laminate (i.e. GRS etc) as the weight is still high and I prefer a plainer style. I have been recommended MacMillian stocks. I have one already on another rifle and am very happy with it.

My specific questions are thus:

1. What stocks are recommended by brand?
2. How do I best measure myself, or action/scope relation in order to make sure I get a well fitted stock. Unfortunately, it's not as easy as trying them before you buy in many cases.

Any my thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

youngjm

As the action is obsolete you will not have many off the peg choices. McMillan are probably your best bet. I would suggest emailing them to see which of their stocks would fit the action. My suspicion would be a Sako varmint. They may be able to produce a longer length off pull for you within reason, or you could have an adjustable butt plate system fitted to allow you to tweak the length until it is right. They can also fit adjustable cheek pieces to many stocks which are great to have.
If you can find someone with a GRS stock or similarly readily adjustable item you may be able to determine your ideal length of pull in much the same way as with a shotgun try gun

Last edited:
Thank you. I know they produce blanks so I could get it inletted over here. If I measured the height between the scope centre and the bore could they work out one of their stocks with an appropriate comb? I know adjustable is an option.

Appreciate your help.

The trouble with adjusters is that they are heavy!! I made one for my Sauer 202, the two adjusters weighed as much as the wooden butt part. Apologies if I am preaching to the converted, the way I was told to do it was, put the rifle on something solid at eye level, shoulder the butt pad, arm straight to the side, bend your elbow at 90 degrees and cock your trigger finger, rotate from the shoulder until your trigger finger touches the rifle, get swmbo to mark -use electrical tape- where your trigger finger touches the stock, measure end of the butt to the tape. Use spacers to adjust the stock, they're lighter and cheaper. Shoulder the rifle, close your eyes and get a good cheek weld open your eye, get swmbo to measure from your pupil to the centre of the scope. that is how much you need to raise the cheek piece, make up a spacer from hard rubber to that dimension, tape it on, repeat until when you open your eye it is in the correct position. Or just get one of those after-market bolt on cheek pieces adjusters.
I did this with the adjusters and then made spacers to replace the adjusters, cheaper, lighter, and more rigid.

The trouble with adjusters is that they are heavy!! I made one for my Sauer 202, the two adjusters weighed as much as the wooden butt part. Apologies if I am preaching to the converted, the way I was told to do it was, put the rifle on something solid at eye level, shoulder the butt pad, arm straight to the side, bend your elbow at 90 degrees and cock your trigger finger, rotate from the shoulder until your trigger finger touches the rifle, get swmbo to mark -use electrical tape- where your trigger finger touches the stock, measure end of the butt to the tape. Use spacers to adjust the stock, they're lighter and cheaper. Shoulder the rifle, close your eyes and get a good cheek weld open your eye, get swmbo to measure from your pupil to the centre of the scope. that is how much you need to raise the cheek piece, make up a spacer from hard rubber to that dimension, tape it on, repeat until when you open your eye it is in the correct position. Or just get one of those after-market bolt on cheek pieces adjusters.
I did this with the adjusters and then made spacers to replace the adjusters, cheaper, lighter, and more rigid.

Thanks Davee. Great advice. I have never heard that about the trigger pull measurement. That's what I was looking for in terms of advice. Having always been given a rifle and told to fit it (at work) it wasn't something I knew. I am just fortunate that my other rifle fits me. I like lighter too!

Speak to Allan Hadjio of schaftwerk.de.
You can get his contact details and see some of his work from his web site.
As you have a continental style stock and he is based in Germany he may well know about the rifle you have.
He speaks excellent English for a guy that lived and learnt it in Brissol :)
So far he has made two Blaser stocks, one thumb hole and one standard sporter and one for the Saur 202, all to my measurements and specification. His prices including delivery are very good too.

Last edited:
Just wanted to update you on what happened. I took the rifle to Neil McKillop to have it screw-threaded and he managed to make some small adjustments. I will give it a go.

The screw cut and protector is top quality though - his work is recommened by me now too!

I'm currently having a stock made by Staffordshire Synthetic Stocks for my tikka lsa65. I'm not a fan of laminates, so a grs was a last resort. Hopefully Danny at SSS will come up trumps with the spec I wanted as it's a dedicated vermin rifle with an nv add on so I asked for an adjustable cheek piece and length of pull unit to get the ideal head position with the nv add on but not compromise the rifles day time use. No photos as yet as it's only been ordered two weeks.

Back