Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 260 rem or 6.5x55

260 rem or 6.5x55

Hi all,
    Just off the phone to FLO to ask advice on Variation request. I have sold my 243 and want to replace it with either a 260 rem or 6.5x55 as both use 6.5 ammo and i home load i asked the question can i put 6.5 caliber on variation request and then shop around for either a 260 or 6.5x55. I was told No pick one. I now have to decide so whats the opinion of those using these calibers. I want to shoot Deer and also occasionally targets.

Please help Dalkur.

Get a .260 Rem, the 6.5x55 is positively lethargic.

Even the staunch supporters of the 6.5 are gradually seeing the light and chopping them in for 7-08's!

If you are a reloader, 260rem all the way.

Keep it short, 20" barrel or thereabouts.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

I seem to keep seeing threads like 'Should I get xyz or a 6.5x55..... ' I guess you either love them or not.

Dalkur. I can't comment on 6.5x55s as I have never owned or fired one. However I am on my third 260 Rem since '99. The latest is in my gallery. Rgds JCS

Mate has 6.5x55 i have a .260 rem ! both do the same job, but mines faster and uses less powder !

I can't call the 6.5x55 because it it is good , freely available inc ammo and accurate.

But i like the short action of the .260 and as i reload there is no ammo supply problem.

It's all down to what you want !

i have .22-250 .260 and .308 . The .260 rem would be the LAST one to go .

ATB
    Coldweld

Depends if you reload, .260 you will definately need to reload. 6.5x55 it just helps if you reload. Don't get sidetracked by action sizes, it makes little practical difference. Also if you buy a modern 6.5x55 you will find you can increase the very conservative published loads as they are for the old actions which are still in service! Thus ridding yourself of the myth that the 6.5 is too slow, and no matter what people say it's dammned effective.

Remember that the 6.5 has been with us since the late 1800's and is still very popular, will the .260 still be available in 100 years....................................

People will tell you that the 7mm-08 is the coming round, but people are still buying the 7x57 and 7x64 because they can throw a much wider weight of bullets without compressing powder loads.

Every single calibre mentioned is more than capable of dealing with all our species of deer more than adequately, buy what you like most, I do not think there is a best option, I would be happy with all or any of them.

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Don't you just love it. those idiots in firearms licensing still don't get it that 6.5mm (0.264" in American 0.256" in English) is the calibre. 6.5x55 or 260 Rem is a cartridge. It's not wonder we have problems with licensing when they cannot even grasp this simple fact.

As to the short- medium action thing is a few millimeters bolt travel really going to make any noticable difference?

As for the Swedish being slow????? all hail the velocity kings.......................... Sheesh I have to go and apologise for all the deer slain with such an pedestrian bullet form my 6.5x55 chambered rifles. Although I didn't noticed any complaining. I cannot see why they bothered with the .260 really it's just reinventing the wheel. in a modern action the 6.5x55 is a superb cartridge. Even in a 1905 vintage Swedish Mauser it's no slouch

Now I happen to like the 6.5mm bore and have three of them 6.5x53R.. 6.5x54MS and 6.5x55. I did have two Swedish chambered rifles but one went to make room for the 25-06 just before Christmas. In the Swede the 120 grain Speer is an excellent bullet as is the 129 grain Hornay spire Point. For Fallow buck I would use the 160 grin RN hornady loaded over Reloader 19. Accurate and hit with a wallop. I tried it on Roe but it was a bit brutal so it's now reserved for the larger deer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brithunter View Post

As for the Swedish being slow????? all hail the velocity kings.......................... Sheesh I have to go and apologise for all the deer slain with such an pedestrian bullet form my 6.5x55 chambered rifles. Although I didn't noticed any complaining. I cannot see why they bothered with the .260 really it's just reinventing the wheel. in a modern action the 6.5x55 is a superb cartridge. Even in a 1905 vintage Swedish Mauser it's no slouch
    You're into old rifles the OP, as far as I know, is not, the remit was a rifle for deer stalking and occasional target shooting, the .260 Rem wins, it's the 21st century afterall.

Really dont get this too slow thing.Unless you are shooting very long range the average centrefire bullet travels 100yds in something like (dont quote me) 1/15th of a second,if a slow round gets there in say 1/12th of a second i really dont think the deer is going to notice