Second check

topscots1

A strange question. I am out of the U.K. When my renewal is due being a diligent certificate holder I informed the police of this.

I have submitted all paperwork.

all references and land along with GPs letter has been received.

i had a full security check conducted.

i have however purchased two rifles since this was done as per the allowance in my certificate. The PC dealing with the renewal now wishes to check the two new rifles?!!

As far as I am aware this is not required by any legislation. I will not be back in the UK until after my renewal.
This is causing me some concern, prior to calling them later today I would appreciate opinions as to wither a second visit to check rifles purchased since application is required.

It is usual, on renewal, yes, for the police to physically verify, by a visit to you,that the weapons listed as possessed are actually present and in your keeping. Or, if not, to have an explanation of where they actually are, such as being re-jointed or having other work done on them. So there's nothing unusual in there requesting to be able to check them.

Anecdotally, in 1989, after the 1988 ban on self-loading rifles a Scottish force did a renewal of an FAC on which, along with other rifles, was listed as possessed '1 x .308 Remington rifle'. It was only on the renewal visit, and physically viewing it, that said Remington is discovered to be a Remington 760. The owner not realising it was now a prohibited weapon.

Last edited:
This i fully accept however this check was conducted two months ago. I have since then filled two open slots which they now wish to recheck. This is impossible due to the fact that i am in the middle east.

The renewal check was conducted whilst i was on leave. If they had mentioned not to fill my open slots until after renewal i would not have.

Last edited:
The confirmation as in notification has been sent by both myself and the RFD i purchased the rifles from. I will be calling the FEO as opposed to the visiting PC at 0900 to clarify. The inspection is beyond the art of the possible.

Given that FACs can be revoked any time, I'd have thought that ,at worst, there is no good reason why they shouldn't renew with the proviso that you have them checked next time you're on leave.
This is a typical waste of everyone's time from the "we're seriously under-resourced and struggling with an impossible workload" attitude rife in so much of the public sector.

I suspect it's a storm in a teacup. Just tell the PC in question that you are abroad with your job, that of course nobody has access to your firearms except you and that he/she is welcome to come along and see them when you are back. Not really sure why they need to, to be honest, but I'd say it's nothing worth worrying over. Just fire off an email to him, then another when you are back in Blighty.

Can't imagine there would be any reason to delay your renewal. If you fill a slot in between renewals, they don't come scurrying around to squint at it.

We had a guest (a few years ago but after the ban on semi auto's) He'd driven from Holland via Dover, gone through customs etc, got the estate in Warwickshire, went to estate range the next day to check his rifle and he pull a Browning BAR 7mm Rem Mag out of his gun slip. It was listed on his FAC 7mm Browning Rifle. The following year he came with Mauser 66, much to relief of all.

What was the outcome of this? I travel a lot for extended periods and this bothersome me that I might have to come back.

Back