Squirrel bite

308tikka

My Patterdale Terrier found, chased and caught a grey squirrel. No surprise there.. Squirrel bit through lip/underside of chin trying to defend itself. Lots of blood at time, remarkably after cleaning wound it appears to have closed up, no sign of infection. She is no different in behaviour.

Can squirrels transmit any infectious diseases to dogs ? (No Daily Wail scare stories). She hates them and will go nuts on sight (not good for stalking). Has had Lep jab.

I was scratched removing squirrel from her mouth.

Advice welcome.

Last edited:
These dogs are made for killing rats, foxes, badgers ect. I would not loose sleep over it .
My patterdales were as hard as F&*k And a wee bite fae a squirrel is nowt to them.
Just enjoy you wee terror.

These dogs are made for killing rats, foxes, badgers ect. I would not loose sleep over it .
My patterdales were as hard as F&*k And a wee bite fae a squirrel is nowt to them.
Just enjoy you wee terror.

Im pretty sure she didnt even feel it. no infection. just in case there was ongoing risk of something chronic.

cheers all.

They were bred for hunting the animals Tommo mentioned, those big yellow squirrel teeth will do no damage, salty water or butter mixed with salt will do the trick
I think you have just witnessed your terrier becoming unsuitable for woodland stalking though

My wee terrier has been bitten/attacked multiple times by pretty much everything going, from ticks to Great Danes (quite lucky to be alive really) and he's never had more than bleeding followed by swelling from squirrel bites. I seem to remember getting him a jab against Lyme disease so I think he's covered there. He's really good at killing them now but still gets bitten. If they latch on, don't try and grab the squirrel to pull it off as the dog can get ripped open worse than if he sorts it out himself.

My Slovak hates the little buggers with a passion and has dispatched about a dozen over the years...each and every one has left their mark on him from cut nose,lip,eyebrow and ear ! He's been absolutely fine with just a bit of wound cleaning and disinfecting.
Still hates them though and will not leave them alone once cornered.
Regards,Rob.

To be quite honest with you, I don't know much about it. My vet knows I have a working dog and recommended the vaccine so I went along with it. I asked if he could give me the vaccine while I was there but apparently it doesn't work like that! Funny how they have a vaccine for dogs but not humans....

Back