photographing the various lymph nodes and glands

apollo

As ive been working on my level 2 portfolio for two and a half years now ive been taking pics of the various stages of the processes ive undertaken, the question i have is this ive found it hard to shoot deer and take a good clear pic of all the lymph nodes/glandes as no matter where you shoot them one or more have been damaged or non existant, so does it matter that i have pics from various deer shot to cover them....many thanks for your input...

does it matter that i have pics from various deer shot to cover them....many thanks for your input...

I think the answer to 'does it matter?' is is matter to whom?

Level 2 doesn't demand you photograph all the lymph nodes in every deer. As far as I am aware the only thing you must do is demonstrate to your witness that you can locate and examine the nodes in each of the deer in your 3 witnessed culls.

If this is just a personal project to document the nodes and/or to add as additional evidence to your portfolio then I can't see how it matters if the nodes are from different deer.

Alex

apollo

I'd suggest that, together with your AW, you decide which photos - if any - you submit as part of your portfolio. It's good that you've taken photos as supporting evidence for your DSC2, but they are not mandatory.

All the best with your portfolio

willie_gunn

P.S. Alex's answer is much better.....

Apollo

The pictures you are taking have no relevance to the acheivement of your DSC2 award. As an assessor the only evidence that is required is the signature of your AW to say that he/she has witnessed you perform the gralloch and inspect the lmpyh nodes to the required standard, along with a supplementary question if needed. The photographs are not beneficial as they cannot prove that you personally found the nodes or did the gralloch. Sorry I don't mean to be harsh.

Can I ask if you discussed this with your assessor before you started completing your portfolio?

Please feel free to ask any further queries you may have

ATB
OT

You need to ideally inspect in every deer counting towards your portfolio the Mesenteric lymph node chain, Sub-maxillary lymph nodes and Retropharyngeal lymph nodes. If some are damged then there are other nodes to inspect which helps show your depth of knowlege. Photo evidence is a good way to show how cleanly you can carry out your inspection but it's only needed once if you include them. This is what you want really but you need some training if you're not sure about nodes. AW's will always let you know what they expect if you ask.

DSCF0090-1.jpg

subs.jpg

rets.jpg

Last edited:
Ive photographed all of the glands over two stalks as some were damaged on both occasions just wondered if it would make a differance and it looks like it dosent, thanks for your replys this was only for my benifit, the gentlemen that have witnessed my stalks so far have not asked me to take photos this is my own preferance as i document most things with pictures for referance and to look back on, i was going to add some pics to the portfollio and i know that the happiness of the witness on the day that im able to do it should be whats needed, it was just something extra i spose but thanks again...

Last edited:
I have always advised not to use photos unless something abnormal is found.(less been more).
The new system should be more witness trust worthy and cut out alot of this as if we see you perform our "word" should be enough to say we have seen you perform. And just sign off that p.c. without having to ask so many often stupid questions.
Lets see I haven't seen a new one yet.
The assessors should ask more questions to fill in any gaps they are not happy with.

As per the AW briefing there are no extra points for pictures its the content of the portfolio questioning that holds the key to success nothing else ,anything else should be kept for your own personal development.

yeh, photo's aren't essential but remember that the portfolio is a candidates record of achievement that I may be shown to L1's thinking about L2 later on. Pics are always good to include which can highlight in still the meeting of criteria, it's just a bit more effort to include them. The benefit is where the portfolio is used later on to show what is expected of the new candidates ;)

Last edited:
Thank you boys i have the aw stalk left to do, ill chat with him as to whether to include any of my pics with my portfolio, thanks again apollo

Apollo

Which assessment centre are you with? Have you spoken to your assessor? On the second page of your portfolio, right at the bottom will be your assessror's name and phone number. Give them a call and ask them about including the pictures - at the end of the day it is the assessor reading your portfolio that you have to convince.

Regards

OT

Never thought of that, my assessor is a john speed and my assessment office is mary fishburne marford hill, i may just tinkle him

Ok i spoke to the assessor and he said hes never had photos of the nodes and glands before but said if i can write the names on the pics it would be better, he said look at it this way it wont take nothing away from your portfolio, we had a long chat about what he expects from a canditate and said the more questions that are asked and answered the more chance of him seeing the knowledge i have, so i will add a few pics after my last stalk and ive talked to the aw to see if he has an input on which would be best to use...

Good pictures paul but the only way we know its you is because of your nail varnish .How would we tell it was the stalker in question that had found them and that they had not cut and pasted them from the internet or out of a book.;)

I bet the candidate in the photo hasn't got a meat hygiene certificate, look at the length of the guys thumbnails! :doh:

Back