Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel chop .243

Barrel chop .243

Right Gents,

I intend getting my remmy 700 chopped and re-threaded its 1-10 twist so I am thinking maybe 22" but what are your thoughts and experiences, I use mainly 90 grain rounds.

Thanks

Leon

should be no problem my .243 Ackley is 22 inches and will lob 95 grain down range at 3200. It was 22 inches before I had the Ackley barrel put on it and I didn't have any problem getting the deer in the bag with it.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Leon View Post
    Right Gents,

I intend getting my remmy 700 chopped and re-threaded its 1-10 twist so I am thinking maybe 22" but what are your thoughts and experiences, I use mainly 90 grain rounds.

Thanks

Leon
    Just out of interest, how long is it now and what profile? Also where are you intending to send it to be done?

Quote Originally Posted by devilishdave View Post
    Wrong thread!

Is that your best answer... well it aint rifles or equipment as such or the others, this is about the closest...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfisherman View Post
    Just out of interest, how long is it now and what profile? Also where are you intending to send it to be done?

25" & .910 profile, thinking of our local smiths in Ruthin.

So its the std 26'' heavy barrel which has been threaded? I wanted to go down to 18'' with mine (R700 PSS) but due to the length of the HS Precision stock, you cant really do it if you want to put a P8 back on it. I had mine lopped down to 22'' and it was done by Steve Kershaw. I cant recommend him highly enough, fantastic engineer, extremely helpful, makes good tea, turns jobs around quickly and is competitively priced. He wont get it wrong!

I would still like to try my barrel at 18''. It performs exactly the same at 22'' as it did at 26''. Im sure muzzle velocity has dropped but not significantly..

Is that your best answer... well it aint rifles or equipment as such or the others, this is about the closest...
    Ha ha; I ment I posted on the wrong thread hence the edit, not the author!! But I did post somthing remotely constructive above.

Dave

25" & .910 profile, thinking of our local smiths in Ruthin.
    I would make sure you get some good recomendations befor puting a rifle in to a local gun smith for work. The bread and butter for most of these guys is shot guns and I have found one or two who are good on the shot guns to be less than competant on rifles. Any of the rifle builders recomended on here should be able to do the work for you to a high standard with no problems.

Good luck

Dave

I would cut it to 20", 21" at the very most.
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......