Barrel chop .243

Leon

Right Gents,

I intend getting my remmy 700 chopped and re-threaded its 1-10 twist so I am thinking maybe 22" but what are your thoughts and experiences, I use mainly 90 grain rounds.

Thanks

Leon

should be no problem my .243 Ackley is 22 inches and will lob 95 grain down range at 3200. It was 22 inches before I had the Ackley barrel put on it and I didn't have any problem getting the deer in the bag with it.

Dave

Right Gents,

I intend getting my remmy 700 chopped and re-threaded its 1-10 twist so I am thinking maybe 22" but what are your thoughts and experiences, I use mainly 90 grain rounds.

Thanks

Leon

Just out of interest, how long is it now and what profile? Also where are you intending to send it to be done?

So its the std 26'' heavy barrel which has been threaded? I wanted to go down to 18'' with mine (R700 PSS) but due to the length of the HS Precision stock, you cant really do it if you want to put a P8 back on it. I had mine lopped down to 22'' and it was done by Steve Kershaw. I cant recommend him highly enough, fantastic engineer, extremely helpful, makes good tea, turns jobs around quickly and is competitively priced. He wont get it wrong!

I would still like to try my barrel at 18''. It performs exactly the same at 22'' as it did at 26''. Im sure muzzle velocity has dropped but not significantly..

Is that your best answer... well it aint rifles or equipment as such or the others, this is about the closest...

Ha ha; I ment I posted on the wrong thread hence the edit, not the author!! But I did post somthing remotely constructive above.

Dave

25" & .910 profile, thinking of our local smiths in Ruthin.

I would make sure you get some good recomendations befor puting a rifle in to a local gun smith for work. The bread and butter for most of these guys is shot guns and I have found one or two who are good on the shot guns to be less than competant on rifles. Any of the rifle builders recomended on here should be able to do the work for you to a high standard with no problems.

Good luck

Dave

Valley Arms in Ruthin is pretty good with rifles in my admittedly fairly limited experience.

Have a look at this and this

http://www.gunworks.co.nz/suppressors.php

http://www.shootingtimes.co.uk/features/136776/How_important_is_the_barrel_length_of_a_rifle.html

I had my .rebarreled Remmy 308 chopped to 20” and am using a Gunworks Dural suppressor with stainless steel baffles, good balance and performance.

If it’s an overbarrel suppressor then the length of the over barrel section in relation to the fore end of the rifle will be one of the factors which will decree the minimum length of barrel.

Bob

18 inchs would it be dear legal on a 18 inch barrel as you would lose a good amount of fps. and if you use the rifle for foxing at night you might get some flash from the end of the barrel

Valley Arms in Ruthin is pretty good with rifles in my admittedly fairly limited experience.

Yeah its not to bad had a couple of things done there used to do loads with VA when Jim owned the place but still learning how the new fellas work and deciding if I want them touching my rifle.

So its the std 26'' heavy barrel which has been threaded? I wanted to go down to 18'' with mine (R700 PSS) but due to the length of the HS Precision stock, you cant really do it if you want to put a P8 back on it. I had mine lopped down to 22'' and it was done by Steve Kershaw. I cant recommend him highly enough, fantastic engineer, extremely helpful, makes good tea, turns jobs around quickly and is competitively priced. He wont get it wrong!

I would still like to try my barrel at 18''. It performs exactly the same at 22'' as it did at 26''. Im sure muzzle velocity has dropped but not significantly..

Standards .820 isnt it on the 700 police? the one that came off was anyway. Its running a Shilen now and shoots a treat but its 25" and a tad to long 22" would make it the same overall length with my wildcat on and I think more balanced.

Leon

Standards .820 isnt it on the 700 police? the one that came off was anyway. Its running a Shilen now and shoots a treat but its 25" and a tad to long 22" would make it the same overall length with my wildcat on and I think more balanced.

Leon

Sorry, didnt realise it was a non standard barrel. Your going for the same idea as me, so with the mod, you get the same overall length.

Somebody asked if an 18'' barrel would be deer legal, i will stick my neck out and say that if the round you fire is well within the deer legal parameters, chopping off 8'' shouldn't (depending on calibre) make much difference, especially on .308 apparently.. Im no gun expert, just what i've been told by gunsmiths and people with experience. IM sure theres umpteen people on here who have chronoed the barrels before and after the big chop..

My Parker Hale with 22" barrel will stablize 95gn SST reloads no problem. I checked zero on a 199 yard rabbit last week. Unfortunately the rabbit can't testify. But it can depend on the rifle. It works for my PH and similarly for Lorraine's Remy but some makes are happiest at the length they are manufactured. Chopping them could ruin them. Check with a competent gunsmith and do as they advise is my suggestion.

There are Steyr rifles Ultralite (dont think they do them any more) and Scout with 19" barrel in .243. They shoot very well so I guess you can go for 19" and probably less than that.

Greg

I recently had a h/b .243 rem shortened from 26 to 23" still didn't like the handling with the std p8 mod.

I took the plunge after asking advice around the forums, chopped another 3" off fitted the
lighter compact p8.
Result the 20" shoots superb groups with 75gn bt's handles like it did un moderated at 26"

In the field the results have been excellent this harvest on long range foxes , im sure it must have dropped velocity but i cant tell the difference and it shoots well out to my ability.

I was testing some shotgun loads through the chrono the other day and was tempted to try, it but decided to leave well alone while i have confidence in the rig.

Back