6.5 x 55 Sika

Peter Eaton

After talking to Lakey last night re Sika Stags in the rut. Im looking for a good bullet head to load for my 6.5 x 55 for just that situation. At present I am using 120 Sierra Pro hunters with 49 grains of N160 which has been a superb combination on Roe knocking them flat with no runners and no meat damage. I used the same on the two prickets the other night but as Im looking to get more land with the possibility of Sika on it I would like something with a bit my 'poke' in order to stop any chance of a runner in the rut.

I still want to if possible use N160 and would imagine bullet head from 150-160 grains, maybe a round nose would be best? does anyone have any ideas of a suitable bullet head to use?

Pete

Last edited:
I use 46 grains N160 with a Barnes TSX, Knocks everything on its arse including Huge lowland Reds and south Coast Sika.

I would take more notice of where you shoot the stags. In the rut they can carry a shot no matter what legal calibre you use.

In the rut shoot them in the shoulder, because believe me they will run on many occassions, and will also show little sign of being hit.

ATB

Sikamalc

Hi Malc

Thats what Andy said too and I agree with you both, but he also said the bigger bullet would make a larger wound channel as it went through the deer , so if a shot was say slightly high and the leg wasnt broken the wound would most probably have a lager exit hole and in doing so a wee bit more blood lost and so make tracking easier when in thick scrub or woodland. I know when I shot the two with the 120 grain the exit wound on the first was spot on and blood was evident on the exit side, but the second deer had no blood evident on the hair of the exit side...even though a two pence size hole had been put in both sides of the rib cage.

Cheers

pete

I don't know if they still do - but Hornady used to make a round nose bullet in 140 grains. I don't have a catalogue but expect you could find out on the web. They made nice groups. I never did try them on Sika though. Maybe best to follow the advice of those who have bowled them over.

Pete this in know way trying to high jack your thread. Sikamalc i 100% agree with your shot placement but with your Sika deer knowledge would you not feel a good constructed hard bullet is best used for this type of shot, as i have seen polymer tips or soft bullets (.243-308-.30-06) disintegrate on impact!!!!!!! and Bambie is running on three legs as opposed to being out for the count or trying to run on two legs!!!!!!Sika Malc i ask this as question NOT a debate.

any thing in a B tip/SST from 120-140 grains ,pushing them as hard as you get .hit them hard and take all the air out of there lungs ,snap shoulder blades or neck em on the edge of thick forest .
i have seen them run 300yds shot behind the shoulder .

I use 46 grains N160 with a Barnes TSX, Knocks everything on its arse including Huge lowland Reds and south Coast Sika.

amen to that !

im using 120gn barnes tipped tsx with 47 grains of RL22 in my 6.5x55 and that drops lowland reds like a sack of spuds nay problem !

cheers lee

Hornady 129 gr Interlock or Hornady 140 gr Interlock, through the shoulder and anchor them, the trouble with Sika is they just have no word for dead :eek: They will still be running when a red is halfway to the larder.

John

Many thanks to all who have kindly replied to my thread question.It would seem most of you dont use the 150-160 grain bullet heads and more 120-140. I did some rough calculations and in terms of foot poundage at the animal end the increase form 120 -160 grain would only get me maybe 170 foot pound more on paper...would that really be a huge difference? or should I be more concerned on concentrating on the damage/wound channel which the better construct bullets will hopefully make?

Thanks

pete

As always you are better off concentrating on bullet placement. Don't get hung up on bullet construction etc they will all do the job from 100 grain to 160 grain provided they are put in the right place. The beast will expire from it's wounds, it will bleed out the trouble is they quite often like to multitask and combine bleeding out with running off, which is not a good thing at last light in a forestry plantation. If you are starting to doubt your tools or ability to get the job done sods law dictates that there will be a balls up directly following the shot. Your biggest ally is your confidence, in you ability, your rifle, and your bullet. Don't over think it just do it, put one through the shoulders or if you are close enough through the neck. You know you can shoot good enough and the round is sufficient just go and enjoy your stalk.

John

Back