CZ 455 Varmint .22

awsteed

Anyone have any comments on CZ 455 Varmint in .22LR? Not thumbhole version. Thinking of purchasing for rabbit shooting. Recommendations for a suitable moderator and barrel length suggestions appreciated.

I agree with Andy, bought the varmint with 16" barrel and a-tec mod last year for rabbits. Great rifle and very accurate just find it too heavy after a couple of hours in the field. Will prob soon change it for the American.

Thanks guys. My budget suits the price of the CZ. I shoot solo from truck window a lot and want the stability as mostly won't use a bipod. I switched my .243 I use for foxing to a varmint .243 a few years ago and never looked back so thought the same theory would work for .22. Any ammo you guys found suit the 455?

Last edited:
The varmint may well be the one for your type of shooting then, you will have the weight but wont be having to carrying it for hours. Mine shoots the Winchester 42gr subs best closely followed by CCI subs. But it's a case of trying a few and see what it likes, my son has the same rifle and it shoots eley subs best.

Thanks for that, really helpful. What moderator do you use? I'm guessing the varmint barrel will reduce my market choice a little. A-Tac bit rich for me.

The Atec Wave rimfire mod that i got with mine is a cheap mod to buy (guess around £40) and leaves nothing but the sound of the bolt or the safety (which has an annoying click on the 455) to be heard. My son has a Sak mod on his, about the same money and seems just as good.

Lovely. Great help. Just had a look at those. Which diameter one will I need to get over Varmint barrel. Can't find that info anywhere.

They don't go over they screw tight to the end of the barrel, both are slightly broader than the varmint barrel and suit that barrel well. The 455 comes with a screwcut 16" barrel (1/2"x20 unf).

the sak is an end of barrel job weighs next to nothing and will do you for 35quid.nice rifle but heavy,;) go with an american.posted same time sorry

Below is a new CZ 455 Varmint with 16" barrel, A TEC Wave mod and Edgar Brothers 4-12x50 scope.

cz 455 Varnint.jpg

I've been shooting rabbits with a CZ455 Varmint in .22LR for a few years now and love it (it is a thumbhole version). It consistently groups under a 10p at 50m off sticks - using a Photon NV (ie not the clearest picture). I found it shot by far the best with eley subs. It is heavy - especially with the Photon mounted and torch - but I don't find it too heavy to cause any issue with it on a sling walking my permission for hours and hours. To be absolutely fair I should point out its my first .22LR so I have nothing to compare it to.

I had a Cz 452 American.
It was never consistent enough. I tried all sorts to get it consistent. Gave up got an anschutz miles better.

got a 455 t/hole 17 hmr very accurate, so bought a 455 .22rf new about 6 months ago, plastic stock with a nice feel to the plastic, very accurate, likes rws best only used subs, bolt looks identical to the hmr. swapped springs on both triggers.

Back