Pup taking shape

6 weeks to go......

Faust.jpg

Here are a couple of videos of Bella, one of the Konigstannen German imports - still a way to go but she is getting there

And a bit of retrieving

How old is the track Keith, you need to give her the full leash let her work it out not have her stopped yoinking back she will rely on this, later
age the track more and give gentle pressure to slow the pace a little she’s like an Exocet lol, Atb Wayne

Thanks Wayne, much appreciated. That trail was 5 hours old (with 30ml of blood), we are gradually increasing the age, which, at this time of year, will soon mean it will be left overnight.

Sorry I see the age at the top I looked on my phone and didn't see it lol, looks like you need to age it more so it slows down and concentrates more this will also help giving longer leash so that she can learn to come back on track on her own, atb wayne

Sorry I see the age at the top I looked on my phone and didn't see it lol, looks like you need to age it more so it slows down and concentrates more this will also help giving longer leash so that she can learn to come back on track on her own, atb wayne

We will certainly take that advice and hope to be on overnight trails by Christmas. It's that line between wanting them to enjoy success and yet not making it too easy. Thanks again.

We will certainly take that advice and hope to be on overnight trails by Christmas. It's that line between wanting them to enjoy success and yet not making it too easy. Thanks again.
8-10 hrs then 12-14 alter therein to make it easier or harder as you see fit, always for success though so always better to gradually go up and not have the dog fail or need help the biggest thing though is let that dog work the full leash to explore and just because hes off a little doesn't mean its not following, think of the wind or conditions, keep posting, atb wayne

Just commented to the missus, He 's already ahead with the nose work in the film.

Yes we noticed that too. Our other bitch, Hazel, is very hound like when it comes to nose - if she's in that mood, the only thing in life that matters is what's at the end of her nose, oblivious to everything else........Bless her :)

We also want to prove their ability below ground, either under current restrictions or a trip abroad. Before they joined us they were very familiar with the breeders artificial earth back home in Germany

8-10 hrs then 12-14 alter therein to make it easier or harder as you see fit, always for success though so always better to gradually go up and not have the dog fail or need help the biggest thing though is let that dog work the full leash to explore and just because hes off a little doesn't mean its not following, think of the wind or conditions, keep posting, atb wayne

Thanks again , will do

We laid a 250 meter trail on a very frozen rough meadow yesterday morning. A couple of roe deer crossed the meadow as we arrived and they were there again when we went back to track it. We aged the trail 6 hours. Hazel is much slower than Bella but can be more meticulous. They both did a 400 meter level one type trail last weekend and we were told that if it was a test, they would have passed so hopefully we are on the right course.

Hi Keith, real easy to read the dog tails like a flag on track and drops when she thinks shes off, I hope you don't mind, two comments I have firstly the handler needs to not go forward with a loop in the leash, if they need to go forward slide the leash through the hands and leave the slack behind, everything goes through the leash back to the dog.
lastly when the dog stops to show you something slide the leash agin through your hands to the dog and see what the dogs showing you, this is very important, atb wayne

Hi Wayne, thanks very much again for the feedback - always appreciated. We totally get the first bit - leash through the hands - we noticed this when we played it back. Not sure I fully understand the second piece of advice, we are learning to ensure we stop when the dog stops and not crowd her 'space', could you clarify the bit about the leash please.

Hi Keith yes, when the dog stops with the nose on the deck she pauses firstly at the begining of the track and then into around 3.15 she stops dead and marks for you, you should show great interest in this even if at first you cannot find anything, she has your a team and its your job to interpret your dog and what shes showing you, if you don't show interest she will stop doing this and its important you pick up on her ways, the first mark is easy to miss but the second is longer. I know you laid this track but something could fall off from the cleave or hair, left. these dogs will show sign for you if you nuture this, other type of dogs will never be able to give you this indication on track, but again slide the leash keep it taught and hold the dogs position without putting it off you then will have a dog you can trust, and also stop mid flow to work out important pieces on track, hope this helps wayne

Hi Keith yes, when the dog stops with the nose on the deck she pauses firstly at the begining of the track and then into around 3.15 she stops dead and marks for you, you should show great interest in this even if at first you cannot find anything, she has your a team and its your job to interpret your dog and what shes showing you, if you don't show interest she will stop doing this and its important you pick up on her ways, the first mark is easy to miss but the second is longer. I know you laid this track but something could fall off from the cleave or hair, left. these dogs will show sign for you if you nuture this, other type of dogs will never be able to give you this indication on track, but again slide the leash keep it taught and hold the dogs position without putting it off you then will have a dog you can trust, and also stop mid flow to work out important pieces on track, hope this helps wayne

Yep, got it - thanks Wayne

Back