Thread: Roe Rut... any advice???

Roe Rut... any advice???

Good Morning,

Just some quidance please as this is really probably only my second year stalking so definately still learning a lot...

The roe rut on paper lasts from the end of July to Mid-August ish, but what I'm wanting to know is, does this change from location to location, and what is the general behaviour of the roe bucks straight after the rut? (An earlier post this week has inspired me to post this so thank you!)

I am stalking in Kirkconnel, D&G on 4 and 5 Sept so I'm wanting to get a feel for what the bucks will be behaving like.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Tom

Deleted
    Last edited by 6pointer; 22-08-2010 at 16:08.

hi,

lets say this,

you have ran round a field for a week or so,
    chased of all rivals,
    half staved yourself,
    used every bit of energy looking for and after potential mates

what would you do after the ladies came out of season!!!!
    as for location yes it will vary as does the weather......

as for the dates mentioned, imo from what i seen so far you may be lucky to get a late doe in season and a buck chasing.....
    but if you can predict when it will start finish you would also be able to predict saturday night numbers as both follow the same odds

atb F.

Tom
    Yesterday the 3 bucks that I saw were all near does, but appeared to be resting and recuperating. In the past I have been invited to stalk on ground in Sept and have gone and seen nothing as per Choc's comments above. My stats show September as my least productive month with only one buck being shot in some years and none in others. Typically the bucks I have got in Sept have been a by product of being out after red or sika or they have been yearling bucks. As of yesterday I have stopped pursuing roe buck for the season. If I see one when I am out, I will pursue it.
    Regards
    JCS

Quote Originally Posted by jcampbellsmith View Post
    Tom
    Yesterday the 3 bucks that I saw were all near does, but appeared to be resting and recuperating. In the past I have been invited to stalk on ground in Sept and have gone and seen nothing as per Choc's comments above. My stats show September as my least productive month with only one buck being shot in some years and none in others. Typically the bucks I have got in Sept have been a by product of being out after red or sika or they have been yearling bucks. As of yesterday I have stopped pursuing roe buck for the season. If I see one when I am out, I will pursue it.
    Regards
    JCS
    +1