Boots. Again!

Jax

I need some new boots.

looking at the Altberg Tethera, Altberg High Country or Meindl Dovre Extreme.

The Dovre seems to have a good following, but anyone have any experience with the mentioned Altbergs?

The main thing I'm looking for is a boot that doesn't squeak and breaks in well.

Thanks in advance

I have the Meindls and have never been as big a fan of them as the magazine adverts make me think I should be, they are OK but not as supportive as a decent pair of 3 - 4 season walking boots and I haven't found them any more robust either, much less so. They weren't difficult to break in, just required wearing a few times, but were probably more difficult than my Altbergs and Scarpas. The Meindls don't get worn much now as I simply moved away from using them (I have 2 X Meindls, 3 X Scarpas, 1 X Altberg, 1 X Haix plus some others) and I'd not have another pair plus they were not especially well made in my view and seem to suffer worse from even light wear than my Scarpas or Altbergs do from heavier and longer term use. I have another model of Meindl boots and they are better made than the Dovre in my view.

I have a pair of the Altberg Mallerstang and they were easy to break in and are comfortable even for decent distances on the moor with a rucksack. There are a few design things I don't like about them and they also chew laces as the rings for the laces are rectangular rather than round in section. I also get the feeling they are not as well made as the Scarpas I've had in the past, though Scarpa are now on to a new range and I'd guess they've reduced the quality as well. I would probably have another pair of Altberg boots.

Different people like different stuff and also have different demands from boots. If your use is pretty light - a few days a year on the hill or on lowland ground all the time - then to be honest wear resistance etc. probably doesn't much matter to you so you can probably ignore it as you'll be changing them before you could wear them out anyhow. Equally I like stiff and supportive boots but you might simply not need this on your ground. To be honest it is getting tricky to recommend boots now as many makers are going towards "features" rather than simply making a good, solid pair of boots that you will get many years of rough use out of.

Hanwag Tatra Top.
More than 3 years old now and although beginning to look tatty still waterproof and serviceable.

These have taken an incredible hammering with minimal care, working daily in the absolute worst conditions. They are due replacing soon and I will undoubtedly buy the same again.

Last edited:
lowa hunter boots are the best i have worn. No breaking in required and seem to last longer than the previous models of meindls i have tried.

#1 for hanwags. Got 2 pairs, one 5 years old, the other 3 years, still keeping my feet comfortable, warm and dry.

lowa hunter boots are the best i have worn. No breaking in required and seem to last longer than the previous models of meindls i have tried.

Mine are now worn out after about 7 years. They were extremely comfortable from the word go but waterproofing lasted about a month.

I'm minded to give these a try:
Mammut Men’s Trovat Advanced GORE-TEX Boots

Only drawback with hiking boots is they're a bit on the short side.

I have recently got some lowa mountain gtx and they are the comfiest boots I have ever owned and being lowa they are built well and at £160 I can't understand why more people don't get them

Another for Lowa - best boots for me by a mile - tried the Mendel and a few others but nothing came near for me

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

What's the width like in the Lowas? I have quite wide feet. I think that's why I was leaning more towards the Altbergs or Meindls.

I wear a pair of Meindl Burmas and really rate them. Comfy, warm but not overly hot.

I'd always warn against goretex boots; once they get wet they stay wet longer, and any water that gets in stays. Go for well treated leather any day. They'll dry as you walk and are more likely to dry overnight. Years of experience has sent me down this route. It works for me.

LJ

What's the width like in the Lowas? I have quite wide feet. I think that's why I was leaning more towards the Altbergs or Meindls

i found Meindl Dovre too narrow mate - the Two pair of Lowa I own (one pair 12 years old). Are a good fit for me. Always best to try to check for heel slip as well as I found that a killer before

What's the width like in the Lowas? I have quite wide feet. I think that's why I was leaning more towards the Altbergs or Meindls

i found Meindl Dovre too narrow mate - the Two pair of Lowa I own (one pair 12 years old). Are a good fit for me. Always best to try to check for heel slip as well as I found that a killer before

I found the opposite... I've got really wide feet, regularly burst the sides out of trainers, and the Meindls (Dovre Extremes) fit like a glove! Regularly get up to the knee in bog, and they always keep the feet bone dry. Been up and down stupid steep slopes through highland and island mountains and they've supported every slip and potential ankle role without any unwanted flex...but still give movement enough that you don't feel like you're walking in a ski boot. I recommend them to anyone looking for a new boot.

But always try before you buy!

size 11

J

+2 on Hanwag. Had mine two years. They get used approx. 60 days a season loading on commercial shoots, 30 days stalking and very often walking dogs - cannot fault them and I have a bunion on my right foot!

again Hanwag. I have a pair of Trapper Top that I've had for about eight years. Absolutely brilliant, if they got stolen or destroyed I'd buy exactly the same again. You can wear them with no socks or mountain type thick socks and they are equally comfortable.

Just looked out my trusty Lundhags for a clean & dubbin treatment, ... not new I know , but I was shocked to see a used pair on Ebay for £200+ :eek: :eek:

I ended up buying a pair of Hanwag Brenners and a pair of Altberg Gamekeeper boots. Tried the Lowa Hunters, but they seem to be a regular width boot. They were too narrow for me.

Initial impressions are that the Hanwags are in a different league. They are lighter, higher, more comfortable and ready to go out the box, no break in needed. They also seem really durable.

Went beating for a few days just to test the Hanwags out. Can't remember the last time I went beating.lol. Hardly a mark on them after tearing through brambles. I was actually trying to find fault with them. Couldn't! The Chameaus I used to wear were noticeable scratched up after a couple of outings.

I have only had the Altbergs a day though. I think they need some breaking in.

My Hunting friend bought new Meindels. Lasted three days, after the second day the right boot leaked very bad from the front, third day the left boot also started leaking.
Utter *****. That was this last weekend, think he paid over 300Euro for the pair.
There are so many more good boots on the market. GRI sport and several other Italian makes that we do not seem to come across because we all seem to chase after the two three standard brands. At the IWA show one is gobsmacked how many brands there are actually. Priced around half of Meindles & Co.
edi

Back