Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Thread: Fallow Haunch Butchery idea's needed

  1. #1

    Fallow Haunch Butchery idea's needed

    As the title suggests
    I am after a few different Ideas on cutting up the haunches
    Normaly I would turn them into a few joints and also cut a few steaks off one
    What do others do??
    If you steak them all , how many steaks do you average of a decent Fallow pricket
    and which way do you steak it?
    All Idea's appreciated
    Cheers in advance

  2. #2
    Turn it in to parve steaks, I have a very helpful DVD that foes through how to butcher a deer and particularly the haunch.

    G

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by groach1234 View Post
    Turn it in to parve steaks, I have a very helpful DVD that foes through how to butcher a deer and particularly the haunch.

    G
    details?

  4. #4
    Quote Originally Posted by pete evans View Post
    details?
    If you will wait until tomorrow i will re-watch post it up in detail.

    G

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by groach1234 View Post
    If you will wait until tomorrow i will re-watch post it up in detail.

    G
    cool, cheers

  6. #6
    Sounds like the BDS skin, butcher and cook DVD featuring Chris Howard and Mike Robinson?
    I just did a couple of Prickett haunches that way tonight! I prefer to prise it apart almost into individual muscle groups first. I then remove the muscle sheaths by sliding a fillet style knife along the board - just like skinning a fish fillet. I then cut into steaks across the grain but also at a slight angle to increase the size of the steaks. I then size them either small, medium or large and bag them. The remainder is either casserole, mince or sausage filler. Nobody seems to want whole haunches at this time of year but steaks are easy to shift!
    MS

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    Sounds like the BDS skin, butcher and cook DVD featuring Chris Howard and Mike Robinson?
    I just did a couple of Prickett haunches that way tonight! I prefer to prise it apart almost into individual muscle groups first. I then remove the muscle sheaths by sliding a fillet style knife along the board - just like skinning a fish fillet. I then cut into steaks across the grain but also at a slight angle to increase the size of the steaks. I then size them either small, medium or large and bag them. The remainder is either casserole, mince or sausage filler. Nobody seems to want whole haunches at this time of year but steaks are easy to shift!
    MS
    Mike Robinson in hunt, prepare and cook but near enough

    George

  8. #8
    Account Suspended
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Monkey Spanker View Post
    I prefer to prise it apart almost into individual muscle groups first. I then remove the muscle sheaths by sliding a fillet style knife along the board - just like skinning a fish fillet. I then cut into steaks across the grain but also at a slight angle to increase the size of the steaks. I then size them either small, medium or large and bag them. The remainder is either casserole, mince or sausage filler.
    Very similar to what we do here. Remove rump as a single piece, cut into steaks across grain,tray in pairs subject to size. Remove top side and roll with home made stuffing. Remove upper flank and dice. Trim shank and tray in pairs. We bone and roll shoulders and sometimes roll flanks depending on species and who wants what.

    Having the services of a first rate butcher to call on when you want to do something different for the first time is a real bonus. Saves on all that cut, slash and hope method so often employed by amatuers.

  9. #9

  10. #10
    This is about the best recipe that I have ever used, do not use to much nutmeg.
    Pot roast Venison in red wine sauce
    Sear venison rolled joint in good quality olive oil with garlic and mixed herbs.
    Add carrots, swede, parsnips and onions that have been finely diced and cook until soft.
    Add a 1/2 teaspoon of ground nutmeg, salt and pepper.
    Add 1/4 bottle of red wine and 1/2 pint of water.
    Cook slowly in oven on moderate heat.
    When cooked slice venison on to warm plate.
    Put sauce on to heat and reduce, add a knob of butter to thicken and season if required.
    Pour over meat and serve.

Similar Threads

  1. Roast Haunch of Muntjac
    By csl in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-04-2010, 08:37
  2. Sika Haunch- Sweetheart Stout
    By tartinjock in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 14:36
  3. Haunch of red ! Al'a chistmas.Trapper
    By Trapper in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 30-12-2008, 01:03
  4. roe haunch
    By tika.308 in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 09-01-2008, 12:46
  5. to cook a haunch
    By Kent in forum Carcass Prep, Butchery & Recipes
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-12-2007, 15:39

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •