Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 32

Thread: Crimping, pros and cons

  1. #1

    Crimping, pros and cons

    What are the benefits of crimping, or not? Cheers, Ed.

  2. #2
    Crimping cases that are of uniform length will produce a more consistent pull weight (the amount of pressure needed to blow the neck clear of the bullet.) and thereby help make pressures in general more uniform, which means more uniform velocities, etc.. etc. etal. In this manner it helps equalize things when the brass lacks uniformity like our US .22 Hornet brass.

    Crimps are useless on cases of unequal length as the degree of crimp will vary from round to round. Lee Factory Crimp dies are the best. As with all crimping dies, you must experiment to find that right amount of crimp.

    Another minor advantage is that the bullets will stay in place should the cartridges get handled roughly. For some rifles, such as lever guns, a crimp is a must.~Muir

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    What are the benefits of crimping, or not? Cheers, Ed.
    Now that would depend on what you're considering crimping and what you want to use it for. For hunting, unless you want to be positively anal, don't bother unless (apparently) you're reloading .22 Hornet. For precision target shooting there may be a place for it as you're definitely looking for as close a grouping as possible and less than a single hole group could lose you a competition. And as already said, underlevers but then we're back to handgun ammo which I would crimp. Since losing my handguns the only thing that gets crimped now is my sphincter.

  4. #4
    Is a sphincter a German rifle ………..
    G.M.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Gemini View Post
    Is a sphincter a German rifle ..
    G.M.
    Oh yar. And a rather large calibre to boot. Not sure of the twist rate though, and the crown needs cleaning after every session, specially when it gets old and loses its elasticity

  6. #6
    plenty of brown soot then Dave ???

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by callie View Post
    plenty of brown soot then Dave ???
    Not with regular use of the right size boresnake. A sheep on a rope works well.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
    Now that would depend on what you're considering crimping and what you want to use it for. For hunting, unless you want to be positively anal, don't bother unless (apparently) you're reloading .22 Hornet. For precision target shooting there may be a place for it as you're definitely looking for as close a grouping as possible and less than a single hole group could lose you a competition. And as already said, underlevers but then we're back to handgun ammo which I would crimp. Since losing my handguns the only thing that gets crimped now is my sphincter.
    I must contradict: Most comp shooters will not crimp. Many hunters (and most commercial ammo makers) do crimp for hunting rounds. Semi autos are another place for crimping. Persons with a magazine feed 45-70 will crimp whether a lever gun or bolt and yes, it apparently does help with Hornet grouping.

    Whether or not it helps accuracy is an individual matter. In the end, it can't hurt, and you can always not crimp the next time you reload. I crimp extensively and try it for every cartridge I load, whether "required" or not. A reloader shouldn't knock it until they have tried it.~Muir

  9. #9
    Oh as per Lee's instructions if you use a crimp you should work up the laod from scratch using the crimp. just adding a crimp to an existing load will not show it's true potential. In fact any change and you should start over again.

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    I must contradict: Most comp shooters will not crimp. Many hunters (and most commercial ammo makers) do crimp for hunting rounds. Semi autos are another place for crimping. Persons with a magazine feed 45-70 will crimp whether a lever gun or bolt and yes, it apparently does help with Hornet grouping.
    Agreed that commercial ammo makers crimp. Not sure that most comp shooters don't, I don't comp shoot so can't comment from experience but made the assumption that a crimp might just give that little bit of additional consistency needed to win by a gnats cock. Hunters? If many do, equally many don't. I'd hazard a guess that more UK hunters don't. Agreed that with any tube mag feeds crimping makes sense. I always crimped for my little Winchester U/L, though I did that for all my pistol calibre reloads whether .357, .40, .9mm or .45acp (then they got took) Semi Auto's? We can only have .22rf semi auto's here so that one's not so relevant here.

    I'd be interested to know if people get better results by crimping .17 Rem, being as it's not too far away from hornet.
    Last edited by DaveK; 28-08-2010 at 12:46.

Similar Threads

  1. Range Rover Pros & Cons
    By Stringer in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 25-04-2011, 16:08
  2. Bullets with cannulares? (need crimping i think?)
    By skippy1001 in forum Ammunition, Reloading & Ballistics
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 20-04-2010, 01:25
  3. Pros and cons of a lead ban for stalking
    By purdeydog in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 29-03-2010, 08:10
  4. pros & cons
    By biglad in forum Deer Stalking General
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 27-03-2010, 21:41

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •