Thread: Are they the same

Are they the same

I have been reloading for about a year now but still at the ask stupid question stage, i have noticed that the different powder manufacturers have similar numbers especially Hodgden and IMR.
    I have a tub of Hodgden 4895 and have been looking at Nosler reloading data, it says to use IMR 4895, obviously they are different manufacturers, but are they the same and do they have similar qualities, can one be used instead of the other.

Thanks for the answers in advance

Moose

They are not the same, data is not interchangable...
    Brian.

Just because you are paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't out to get you......

THese two powders once sat side by side on the burning rate chart. They are now separated by one powder (#61 and #63 on my chart) with H-4895 being the faster burning of the two. The problem with reloading books produced by bullet makers, versus those made by powder makers, is that they will list one powder with no comparative data for the other. (That's why I never, ever use them)

What caliber are you shooting? Hodgdon.com reloading center will show you a suitable charge for H-4895 for your bullet WEIGHT and allow you to compare loading data from both powders and see their similarities and differences. IMR and "H" powders are both produced by Hodgdon. Set the Nosler manual aside and get a practical manual! ~Muir

Thanks Guys,

More confusion,

.308 165 Nosler Partition is the bullet i am and have been using, when i had decideded on that bullet i looked at the nosler website got a list of powders and went to the local gunshop, they had IMR 4350 which was on the nosler list and i have been using 47grains of that for the past year, quite happily, i have just got a 22-250 barrel for my blaser and went back on to the nosler website looked at 55 nosler bt's and IMR 4895 was one of the powders , then had a look at 165 partitions, the website had been updated with no mention of IMR4350 ( bit worried now as also no mention of it on hodgdon.com) but IMR 4895 was there and my mate was wanting me to load some .308 nosler partition 180 grain heads for when we go to Namibia next month and IMR 4895 tied in there as well, thinks to myself keep it simple, one powder for them all.

Muir, i had a look at Hodgdon.com but there is no mention of Nosler partitions in the .308 165, only HDY sp which i'm assuming is Hornady another stupid question does this make a difference? again different manufacturer but im guessing the bullet shape may be different, so many small nuances make such a big difference apparently aaahhh!!!!

Again thanks in advance, will try and not ask anymore stupid ones.

Moose

Moose, the more questions asked on here makes us all the wiser buddy!, & we are blessed with many long time reloaders who are very happy to help others short cut the mistakes that have already been made.
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

finnbear 270 has that answer spot on,no matter how small or silly you may think you question is (believe me I have asked a few)keep them coming there is a great wealth of knowledge on this site,and people are only to willing to share,I have been on lots of sites and although I have not acctually contributed to many this is the best site I have come across.

Quote Originally Posted by moose View Post
    Thanks Guys,

More confusion,

.308 165 Nosler Partition is the bullet i am and have been using, when i had decideded on that bullet i looked at the nosler website got a list of powders and went to the local gunshop, they had IMR 4350 which was on the nosler list and i have been using 47grains of that for the past year, quite happily, i have just got a 22-250 barrel for my blaser and went back on to the nosler website looked at 55 nosler bt's and IMR 4895 was one of the powders , then had a look at 165 partitions, the website had been updated with no mention of IMR4350 ( bit worried now as also no mention of it on hodgdon.com) but IMR 4895 was there and my mate was wanting me to load some .308 nosler partition 180 grain heads for when we go to Namibia next month and IMR 4895 tied in there as well, thinks to myself keep it simple, one powder for them all.

Muir, i had a look at Hodgdon.com but there is no mention of Nosler partitions in the .308 165, only HDY sp which i'm assuming is Hornady another stupid question does this make a difference? again different manufacturer but im guessing the bullet shape may be different, so many small nuances make such a big difference apparently aaahhh!!!!

Again thanks in advance, will try and not ask anymore stupid ones.

Moose
    It's all physics. A certain charge of powder under a certain weight of bullet of a given caliber yields X-velocity and Y Pressure when contained in a vessel of a certain volume. (\your cartridge) The laws of physics don't really care who made the the bullet, only the weight. This is why I don't waste my hard earned money on manuals from bullet makers.

In short, it doesn't matter what the brand of the bullet in question, only the weight. ~Muir