Shooting followers.

S&L7x57

I was recently on a small team cull, predominantly fallow, and was told that does and fawns, amongst others, were included in the quarry list. During the 2nd of three dawn and dusk sessions, what I took for a small yearling doe appeared on its own and I waited to see what would follow. After 10 minutes of nothing else emerging, 'she' presented a nice clear broadside at 115 yds and I took her cleanly with a heart/lung shot. On examination I found 'her' to be a male fawn, no law broken and a nice animal for the table but what should I have done if his mum had appeared with him. I remember the old adage of 'before New Year, calf first: after New Year, hind first' but this does this apply equally to lowland deer or is the herding feature of fallow capable of supporting fawns at this early stage.
Interested in more experienced views from deer managers, not the 'if its brown, its down' brigade! ;)

This is always a contentious issue, although no law is broken by taking ether. We always try to take the fawns first until mid December this is personal choice.
There are times this isn’t possible with culls to meet, if you manage deer on a large enough scale and leave an orphan it’s possible to pick up the fawns over the next few days if you know your deer herds.

I would say very situational and species dependent.

in open ground where the deer cant get out of shot quickly. shoot the doe and the follower will hang about allowing you to shoot it as well.
or in small herds of red or fallow. they will stay with the group so no issue either way.

from a management point of view young deer learn from experience of their elders so young followers are better left with an adult or taken,to ensure a stronger population as the young deer wont know where good foodstuffs are at certain times of year or where its best to keep out the cold etc. So the adage is correct but its not a hard and fast rule.

Andy7mm

Andy7mm

Firstly, we need to define the term 'Follower' as there is already confusion here. We often hear the phrase "Hind, Calf & Follower", or "Doe, Kid & Follower".
So in the context of what you have written, you actually shot a Kid and NOT a follower which would be a yearling, or in the case of a Fallow, a 'Prickett'.
It is also fair to say that a large deer species follower would generally be a female! So your question actually relates to shooting Kids/Calves and NOT followers as your title would suggest?
In answer to that, I don't believe that orphaning any kid before Christmas is good practice. Although they may be independent with regard to milk, they rely on their mother to teach them life skills to enable them to develop properly. This is especially true of Roe Deer. Fallow Does will have heavy milk sacks until very late, which gives the impression that the kid is still dependant when it actually isn't! If anything, Fallow are probably the least likely to suffer as it is known that a lactating fallow doe will even support an orphaned kid which is not hers.
In the circumstances you have described, you have shot a perfect cull animal and should have no cause for concern for deer welfare.
I hope that helps.
MS

Last edited:
If it was a Fallow (which I assume from the "In season") no problem, most of my fawns are grazing well and are getting to be indistinguishable from yearlings.

Firstly, we need to define the term 'Follower' as there is already confusion here. We often hear the phrase "Hind, Calf & Follower", or "Doe, Kid & Follower".
So in the context of what you have written, you actually shot a Kid and NOT a follower which would be a yearling, or in the case of a Fallow, a 'Prickett'.
It is also fair to say that a large deer species follower would generally be a female! So your question actually relates to shooting Kids/Calves and NOT followers as your title would suggest?
In answer to that, I don't believe that orphaning any kid before Christmas is good practice. Although they may be independent with regard to milk, they rely on their mother to teach them life skills to enable them to develop properly. This is especially true of Roe Deer. Fallow Does will have heavy milk sacks until very late, which gives the impression that the kid is still dependant when it actually isn't! If anything, Fallow are probably the least likely to suffer as it is known that a lactating fallow doe will even support an orphaned kid which is not hers.
In the circumstances you have described, you have shot a perfect cull animal and should have no cause for concern for deer welfare.
I hope that helps.
MS

Okay, my mistake, a mess of mixed terminology.
It was a fawn, not a kid, since it was this year's offspring and a fallow. When does a fawn/kid become a 'follower'? After one year? Isn't that a yearling?
Anyway, pedantics aside, thank you all for your advice. Very welcome and informed.
I do like this forum!

Lots of chaps I know won’t shoot does or fawns until after Xmas. Some get them early. I’d class a follower as last years younster following mum and younger sibling. You followed the directive of the cull plan. If your asking what should you have taken first if he appeared with mum then that’s a good debate to get out a soapbox !!

Back