Stalking kit

Quite a good idea to take a photograph of your FAC on your mobile phone.
I know it is not a substitute for the real thing but at least it proves that you have got one should you be picked up by the fuzz.
Ouch!! sounds painful.

My view with med kit in particular is that it’s better to have it than not need it etc. I’m strong enough to carry the minimal extra weight.

An anecdote, if I may, from another (sloping) field. A good friend of mine is a very experienced ski instructor, and one evening in Austria decided to take some friends tobogganing down an established route. A toboggan crashed into him, ran over his leg and severed his femoral artery. He was saved due to one other guy carrying an extra 200g of kit.

Another. A friend of a friend stopped to help at a RTA. Another car hit the crashed vehicle, sending a gearbox skidding into his ankle. Ankle exited stage left. The fact that his own med kit was in his hand already saved him, as he was able to stop that traumatic bleed. Dude is still hobbling around today.

My point is that we deal with firearms and knives in remote areas, often alone. This isn’t a rant from a panicky man who wants to wrap the world in cotton wool, but rather someone who was taught that it’s as valuable to prepare as it is to plan. I’ve seen both how strong and fragile people are, and the risks in a perceived benign situation. I mean, look how quickly a deer can come apart, and how long they can survive after a bad shot.

What an idiot we’d feel shivering ourselves to death after slipping out of that high seat.

Have a quick look at Cedric Garcia’s innocuous mountain bike crash, if you dare.

It’d be remiss of me not to share knowledge that i’ve gained occasionally the hard way!

Last edited:
I have to concur with this outlook, with regard to all the other stuff, use common sense & tailor to your perceived needs, a major bleed, a small cut, a broken ankle .. it's not rocket science, if you are at extended stalking distances from your main kit, take enough to fill the gap.

I carry on me:
Binos/rangefinder (great for setting out an area)
Knife
Mobile
Bog roll
Nitrile gloves
Ammo in pouch
Buttalo
Photo copy of ticket and licence card

In my deer sack:

Inflatable roll up cushon seat (given to me, but never seen again, really good on the high seat)
Head torch for when the light fades
Drag rope
fold up gambrel for suspended gralloch
Med kit
Spare knife
Small chest saw
Will usually pack as flask of coffee

With this I feel I have got plenty to get me out of bother, but not too much to weigh me down.

I truly concur with advice on Med kit, slipped twice over the years, managed to jab myself in the leg (dont ask!), small bandage got me home.
and once stupidly lay my knife down, bagged the deer to turn and stick it straigh through the side of my boot, again a field dressing got me home, boots still leak as a lesson for the stupid.....

Back