Thread: The odd Swollen lymph node(s)

The odd Swollen lymph node(s)

I am curious to know that from any of the odd heads we have seen on the site or from the rut, if the lymph nodes either singular or multiples swollen.

The reason I ask is that I shot a roe buck this evening who had one swollen lymph node on the mesenteric chain and one on the portal.

I could see no other enlargements and double checked the sub and retor**gle.

The only visual sign of anything was that his left antler had no tines and was straight as a die. The other was well formed.

Weight was good and no others signs that would cause concern. Behaviour was normal.

I wonder if the rut had taken it's toll on him?

Any thoughts?

regards
    ArthursC.

I have kept the gralloch so i can take some pics which I will post tomorrow.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by arthursc View Post
    I am curious to know that from any of the odd heads we have seen on the site or from the rut, if the lymph nodes either singular or multiples swollen.

The reason I ask is that I shot a roe buck this evening who had one swollen lymph node on the mesenteric chain and one on the portal.

I could see no other enlargements and double checked the sub and retor**gle.

The only visual sign of anything was that his left antler had no tines and was straight as a die. The other was well formed.

Weight was good and no others signs that would cause concern. Behaviour was normal.

I wonder if the rut had taken it's toll on him?

Any thoughts?

regards
    ArthursC.

I have kept the gralloch so i can take some pics which I will post tomorrow.

Put the pics up so we can see.
    There are quite a few things that can effect antler growth, including internal parasites such as liver fluke also lungworm ,
    Did the animal suffer any defect to its front legs like an old wound or deformed joint,the antler being effected would be on the opposite side to the defect limb.
    Regards Stu

What I have found during the rut or leading up to it quite a few beasts I have shot have been badly antler raked in one instance on a big buck i shot 3 weeks ago his muscle adjacent to the spine was wasted (Saddle) from a previous fight but the antlers were perfect in fact it could go bronze so its relative to foreleg and foot damage or testicular or an illness that restricts testosterone
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 22-08-2010 at 07:46.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Colin

Interested to see the pics.

I too have found the occasional enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes act as the body's filter system so there can be a variety of reasons they become enlarged. So long as the deer was acting normally and there are no other signs of disease (either pre- or post-shot) then I have not worried unduly about it.

As Stu says, finding an 'odd' antler or an enlarged lymph node is a good excuse to examine the rest of the carcase for old injuries. Stu, do you know why the injury is typically on the other side to the 'odd' antler? I recall reading this somewhere but can't remember what the reason itself was.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    Colin

Interested to see the pics.

I too have found the occasional enlarged lymph node. Lymph nodes act as the body's filter system so there can be a variety of reasons they become enlarged. So long as the deer was acting normally and there are no other signs of disease (either pre- or post-shot) then I have not worried unduly about it.

As Stu says, finding an 'odd' antler or an enlarged lymph node is a good excuse to examine the rest of the carcase for old injuries. Stu, do you know why the injury is typically on the other side to the 'odd' antler? I recall reading this somewhere but can't remember what the reason itself was.

willie_gunn
    As Hubert said this guy Dr.Frank Holmes who did some research into it, called `it contralateral defect`. Not sure why it happens though but it does. I will try to find further information on it, Maybe Huberts got some more info on it, hes more educated than me I think its something to do with blood flow being cut off when the antler is in velvet but why it effects the opposite side to the injury I cant explain
    Regards
    Stu
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 22-08-2010 at 11:36.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    Stu

Many thanks for posting the reply - I'll have a dig around as well.

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

Thanks all.

Stu, That was my first thought but could not find anything obvious. Liver looks good, very good in fact. Kidneys are fine also. Spleen was slightly attached to rib wall but no growths on the rib cage.

Take away the 3 enlarged lymphs and you wouldn't think there was anything out of the ordinary.

Didn't get time to do the pics today as it was puppy day at the Hunt Kennels.

Will attempt tomorrow eve.

Regards
    ArthursC

Account Suspended
    I have tried a few times using google and other search engines and cant find sweet F.A on the subject bleeding frustrating as like you I have read it somewhere you would think it would come up using Google bleeding computers