Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bullet deflections

Bullet deflections

just loaded some .308 Hornady 150g Interlocks with 44.8g of vit N140.(1/4 inch 100m)
    1 1/2 inch drop at 200m

the question is i shot a buck and the shot placement was on the money,i shot it side on at about 120m away,entry hole at the side of the heart but the exit hole is in the middle of the side.Heart and lungs still intact

The bullet passed through the diaphragm nicked the top of the stomach and the hole is big enough to fit a coke can in it.I know it hit a rib but is it a one off or are they just too fast

advice please

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by mick b View Post
    just loaded some .308 Hornady 150g Interlocks with 44.8g of vit N140.(1/4 inch 100m)
    1 1/2 inch drop at 200m

the question is i shot a buck and the shot placement was on the money,i shot it side on at about 120m away,entry hole at the side of the heart but the exit hole is in the middle of the side.Heart and lungs still intact

The bullet passed through the diaphragm nicked the top of the stomach and the hole is big enough to fit a coke can in it.I know it hit a rib but is it a one off or are they just too fast

advice please
    That's cos a .308 shoots like a rainbow.
    Throw it away or head/neck shoot

Quote Originally Posted by Les Brooks View Post
    That's cos a .308 shoots like a rainbow.
    Throw it away or head/neck shoot
    and what do you suggest to take its place?????

don't sat 270

Yes get a 270, it is the only way. Seriously if you shoot enough animals you will see bullets do strange things, I have seen bullets enter just behind the shoulder and exit out the back leg, don’t worry too much, just go and shoot some more deer.

ATB

Tahr

Account Suspended

don't sat 270
    Gotta be a 6.5x55

advice please
    here we go thread change
    270? not as long as ive an hole in my ar*e

here we go thread change
    270? not as long as ive an hole in my ar*e
    How sad............................................. so very sad

one shot one bullet does not tell the story!!!!!!!!!!!! As Thar as stated shoot a few more beast's. What was the Buck???????? Munty?-Roe?-C.W.D or Fallow ?

1 1/2 inch drop at 200m

advice please
    Forget the advice to lose the 308: that's crazy talk. Sometimes a bullet will deflect. If it happens again switch bullets. Perhaps a 165 in a plain, jacketed lead bullet with no structural enhancement. There is nothing wrong with the caliber, especially at only 120 meters.~Muir

Sounds like a one off, I have a .308 (had no problems using lighter and faster rounds than you) but also have .243 with lighter faster rounds and only had one or two experiences as you discribe one of which was on a Muntjack square on at 15m and it did almost the same as you say; it had hit a rib and deflected. The animal dropped on the spot and there was no suffering so no problem other than the slightly messy graloch.

Dave