Spam PM's

Jack Jones

It seems that you have a spammer loose in the membership. Sending the following spam PM

"Hey,I'm new here, how's it going?"The most fundamental harm we can do to ourselves is to remain ignorant by not having the courage and the respect to look at ourselves honestly and gently" - Pema Chodron---Symbiosishttp://symbiosisis.notlong.com"

I suggest that no one clicks the link.

The increase in spammers and hackers targeting forum memberships is one reason why its its best not to use your prime email address on forums. Even those forums requiring new members to be manually authorised by the site admin have been successfully targeted by these "pain in the butt" nuisances in the past.

Mwonder if it's got anythimg to do with the syatem being hacked earlier on this year

Hacked was it? News to me! :lol:

For the avoidance of doubt, we have not been hacked. Spammers sign up on the site in the same way you or I do. They manually answer the questions on sign-up that prevent automatic spam registrations. They then run a script that systematically PM's other users with whatever spam message they want to pi$$ people off with that day.

We allow anyone to join freely, if we didn't people would be put off joining. The down side to this is that spammers can join too and it's almost impossible to tell a spammer from a legitimate user until they actually send spam!

We have taken some measures to limit the damage they can do. For example, members with less than 10 posts are limited to the number of PM's they can send (2 per 5 minutes). So any automatic script they run is severely limited in the number it sends until someone reports it and we can removed the spam user and delete any PM's that they have sent.

If you receive a suspicious PM don't click any links on it, just report it to us with the username of the sender and delete the PM. We'll do the rest. If you follow these steps then they can cause no more harm than some minor annoyance. It takes them longer to sign up than it does to ban them and delete their messages, so the last laugh is on them!

Alex

Appologies for using the term "Hacked", didn't mean to upset anyone, but when I first read the pm earlier this year from SD I assumed the system had been hacked into. Sorry again especially with all the work people such as Alex do to keep the site running

Ade

Back