Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning primer pockets

Cleaning primer pockets

I am cleaning primer pockets with the Lee primer pocket cleaner. Was not too happy with results,i can never get all the carbon out, and did not want to buy a more expensive tool. I have found filling the primer pocket with a green kitchen scouring pad, and then using the lee primer cleaner gets it as good as new with half the effort. Hope somebody finds this useful. Thanks, Ed.

Hi,
    can you put your primer cleaning tool into a drill?? i can mine, a squeeze of the drill trigger they come out spotless!!!

Steel on brass.

Quote Originally Posted by stugun View Post
    Hi,
    can you put your primer cleaning tool into a drill?? i can mine, a squeeze of the drill trigger they come out spotless!!!
    My cleaners steel, wont the steel damage brass if used with a drill or similar fast moving tool?

Ultra sonic cleaners do a great job on carbon removal, both inside the case and primer pockets

Nell

Why bother. I've honestly found that, in ammo that's going to be used off sticks or over the roof/bonnet of a Land Rover, there's no measurable difference in performance whether you clean the primer pocket or leave it dirty.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Harry mac View Post
    Why bother. I've honestly found that, in ammo that's going to be used off sticks or over the roof/bonnet of a Land Rover, there's no measurable difference in performance whether you clean the primer pocket or leave it dirty.

+1 I also have the Lee tool and whilst it does not get the pockets spotless IMO they don't need to be, I don't clean every time, only if there is a lot of crud left in the pocket, in fact I don't clean the cases every time either, only clean if the cases are really dirty, or after they have been reloaded 4 or 5 times find its easier to check for hairline cracks in the necks if the cases have been cleaned,having said that I have cases that have been reloaded 15 times + and are still OK.

if using in a drill be carefull no to over do it.

Dave

Eddie

Cleaning of primer pockets is really only necessary to ensure the flash hole is not obscured which could affect ignition and to ensure that you can seat the new primer easily and fully so that it does not move forward when hot by the firing pin. A correctly seated primer should be just below the rear of the case, and seat right to the bottom of the primer pocket. It is always worth unifying all you primer pockets the first time you load new brass.

Cheers OT

I always clean primer pockets, and do every other case prep you could ever dream of.

Reason:
    a) I have shed loads of brass fired out of my rifle.
    b) Winter evenings seem to last forever.
    c) There is never anything on the telly.
    d) If I'm doing case prep I'm not in the pub !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.243 View Post
    I always clean primer pockets, and do every other case prep you could ever dream of....
    Andrew. What else do you do? Rgds JCS