.270 load

bijssg

Can anyone give me a little help regarding the above please I’ll be using 130gn sst bullets cheers.

What powder do you intend to use or are you after recommendation​s of what powder people are using?

59gr of Hodgdon H4831sc.
This was consistently giving 0.6" 5 shot groups & 3080fps from a 22" barrel.
Usual caveats apply: start low (I suggest 55gr) & work up.
Needless to say; all rifles differ & a friend has a Ruger M77 MkII that doesn't like the 59gr load at all accuracy wise & is most accurate with 57.6gr.
If you find this load does work, then stock up on the powder, as it won't be available much longer due to EU regulations on a possibly carcinogenic chemical used in the deterrent coating.

H4831SC is very much the go to powder. However with all the legislation stuff going on meaning some powders may not be imported, it might be worth considering going with a European powder like Viht N-160, RS60 - possibly RL22.
As has been said, much will depend on your rifle.

Use Viht or RS powders or be prepared to work up a new load when you run out
n160 is an awesome powder for .270
check out the Viht site and work up accordingly

somewhere around the 54-56gr should give you a nice accurate range without burning powder for the sake of it

Use Viht or RS powders or be prepared to work up a new load when you run out
n160 is an awesome powder for .270
check out the Viht site and work up accordingly

somewhere around the 54-56gr should give you a nice accurate range without burning powder for the sake of it

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

classic 130gn loads above

Reloader Swiss 62 looks good in 270 with 130 grain bullets, top end velocities, 100% case fill without compression, single base so less throat erosion, ongoing availability and 100% burned.

Using N160, easy to get hold of and seems very accurate 1/2" or better with Sierra 130gr Pro Hunter

I bought a tub of H4831sc for .270 load development a few weeks ago and never opened it due to finding about the new regs afterwards. So stuck with N-160 which I've used for years in various calibres. 57.5grns of N-160 behind a 130grn gameking gives me 3115fps average and one hole groups out my sako. remember to start low and move up though! Vihts website has all the data you'll need.

I tend to use Vit N165, I was told its a relatively cool burning powder, and as long as you have a decent barrel length, it should mean your barrel lasts a little longer

I currently use 53 gn Viht 160 with 130 grain Sierra Gameking which will produce the best groups I have ever had with a Bruno 270.

Regards

Foxandhound

Back