Which NV to choose?

MattyD90

Hi All.
Looking for an add-on night vision set up to either front or rear of my daytime scope.Ideally it needs to be a unit I can use as a spotter then attach to the scope. So far I've looked at pulsar F155, pulsar forward mounting thermal (not sure of the model number) and an archer. Ive only read reviews and specs, never tried any of them.
Any advice from owner/users of these and maybe others to be considered?
Cheers
Matt

My experience is only of digital NV so I can't comment on the Archer.
There are no digital NV add-ons that are much use as a spotter. You're far better with a separate spotter and an add-on for your scope
Spotters are pretty cheap - loads here 6x50 NV monocular | eBay

The best add-on is the Ward 700 or 800 Add on / Clip on - Shop

Front add-ons, even the new Pulsar F155, are not great because they severely limit how much magnification you can use without the image becoming too pixellated.
The Pulsar F155 has x1 native magnification which is not a lot of use for a spotter unless it's for pretty short range stuff.
As a front add-on. if you go above x6 magnification with your riflescope then the image becomes unusable.

For any NV add-on, your scope needs to have focus adjustment, either Adjustable Objective (AO) or Side focus (SF)
SF is better because it's easier to reach.
The focus needs to go down to less than 20 yards because IR focusses at a different place than normal visible light.
Typically if you look at a target 100 yards away in daylight and adjust the focus on the scope for a sharp image, then the focus control will be close to 100 yards.
Do the same thing at night using infra red light and you'll find that the focus control has to be adjusted to around 20 yards to get a sharp image. This problem is worse at high magnifications and less noticeable at low magnifications.

Cheers

Bruce

I bought a Pulsar forward mount thermal that could be used as a spotter for about £3300, I sent it back within the week for a refund, it was a heap of rubbish. I now have a Pulsar XQ50 for spotting which is brilliant and a Pro Drone 10 on the rifle which is the best I’ve seen for the money.

I now have a Pulsar XQ50 for spotting which is brilliant and a Pro Drone 10 on the rifle which is the best I’ve seen for the money.

Variation on a theme but I'm using a Pulsar XQ38 spotter and a Ward 800L add-on on the rifle - I wanted to have the option of using it across a range of rifles and also have the versatility of decent day scope capability.

What budget. From that list I don’t think anything can just clip on quick enough and a shot taken without faffing about

Richard Utting has quite an interesting video on night vision choices on youtube. Check out Sharpshootinguk on youtube. Might help. :thumb:

My experience is only of digital NV so I can't comment on the Archer.
There are no digital NV add-ons that are much use as a spotter. You're far better with a separate spotter and an add-on for your scope
Spotters are pretty cheap - loads here 6x50 NV monocular | eBay

The best add-on is the Ward 700 or 800 Add on / Clip on - Shop

Front add-ons, even the new Pulsar F155, are not great because they severely limit how much magnification you can use without the image becoming too pixellated.
The Pulsar F155 has x1 native magnification which is not a lot of use for a spotter unless it's for pretty short range stuff.
As a front add-on. if you go above x6 magnification with your riflescope then the image becomes unusable.

For any NV add-on, your scope needs to have focus adjustment, either Adjustable Objective (AO) or Side focus (SF)
SF is better because it's easier to reach.
The focus needs to go down to less than 20 yards because IR focusses at a different place than normal visible light.
Typically if you look at a target 100 yards away in daylight and adjust the focus on the scope for a sharp image, then the focus control will be close to 100 yards.
Do the same thing at night using infra red light and you'll find that the focus control has to be adjusted to around 20 yards to get a sharp image. This problem is worse at high magnifications and less noticeable at low magnifications.

Cheers

Bruce

Thanks Bruce

As far as suitable scope, mine has the required side parallax adjustment and optical focus. There may be a plan to go halfs with a friend on a thermal spotter in the future but as for now an Nv spotter may be handy.
Ill have a look at the Ward products.
Cheers

I bought a Pulsar forward mount thermal that could be used as a spotter for about £3300, I sent it back within the week for a refund, it was a heap of rubbish. I now have a Pulsar XQ50 for spotting which is brilliant and a Pro Drone 10 on the rifle which is the best I’ve seen for the money.
Would love to put a dedicated NV scope on, but as it will be used for daytime varminting I don't think it's the best decision for me. Pulsar thermal in the future sounds good though.
Cheers

Variation on a theme but I'm using a Pulsar XQ38 spotter and a Ward 800L add-on on the rifle - I wanted to have the option of using it across a range of rifles and also have the versatility of decent day scope capability.
How good is the ward image clarity? And to what range is it capable of identifying a fox? I'm interested as I also want to put it on the .22 as well as the .223.
Thnks

What budget. From that list I don’t think anything can just clip on quick enough and a shot taken without faffing about
Prepared to spend decent money the first time so I don't have to buy again, if you catch my drift. I guess I'm looking somewhere between £1000 and £2000.

How good is the ward image clarity? And to what range is it capable of identifying a fox? I'm interested as I also want to put it on the .22 as well as the .223.
Thnks

Hi Matty,

This might help.

Both of these videos are with our smallest new Ruby IR illuminator so absolute worst case scenario:

Couple of foxes at 120 and 140 yards:

Much longer range:

A true 400 yard shootable image at very high magnification is achievable with the right IR and day scope.

Cheers

Clive

To really help you best, we really need to know your budget and the sort of shooting you do most - distance in particular. You’ve stated some preferences, which helps.

I use a good NV add on, but the faff with set up makes using it as a spotter and a shooting tool complex, with a compromise of time if nothing else. I use add-on over dedicated because I like the flexibility ‘day’ glass gives. I have a dedicated TI spotter.

There are very few people who can purchase the ideal tools to shoot with NV from the off. It’s therefore about the compromises you want to make.

If you’re in the either/or scenario, I recommend buying the thermal spotter first. The rationale is simple: if you can’t see it, you can’t shoot it. Thermal spotter (pPulsar XQ30V - £1299 RRP) will tell you a great deal about what is happening on your land. You will learn a great deal about animal behaviour just watching. Also consider that even if it means you still need to lamp, the first time the lamp goes on, you are seeking to acquire your target - tips the balance in your favour.

For £350, a Photon or an NV add-on kit (and IR source) opens the door to the majority of foxing distances. It may be another compromise, but it opens the door and you can decide what you like and how you like to shoot while looking for you perfect scenario.

Hi Clive, we chatted in your office two times (I bought the 2x specialy built 905nm black suns in June).
Question:- do I really need to have a paralax adjustable day scope? as all my high end German stuff is without this feature?
Regards Martin

Me too. .22rf, .17 Hornet and .243.
Can't fault either.

Hammo

Hi Clive, we chatted in your office two times (I bought the 2x specialy built 905nm black suns in June).
Question:- do I really need to have a paralax adjustable day scope? as all my high end German stuff is without this feature?
Regards Martin

For the sharpest image, I'm afraid the answer is yes.
At low magnification, the lack of sharpness is less and the image may be acceptable.
The other thing to be aware of with high end scopes is that their lens coatings are optimised for light at the blue end of the spectrum, because that is the dominant colour in daylight at dawn and dusk..
Being optimised for blue light means they are less than stellar with red light at the other end of the visible spectrum and maybe significantly worse when you get into the IR spectrum.
Add-on NV is one of those rare situations where buying the most expensive scope doesn't necessarily get you the best image.

Cheers

Bruce

Thnks

Much depends on the day scope you attach it to and the illuminator used. Surprisingly the top end scopes do not perform as well as the lower tier ones, no doubt due to the coatings etc. being optimised for superior daylight use. On my 300 Blackout RARR I’m running a Sightron S-Tac 2.5-17.5x56 SF scope (generally considered to be one of the best combinations) and with a modest T50 3 position illuminator - you need the power adjustment otherwise the target can be swamped at low mag and short distances - I can easily ID rabbit and fox sized quarry out past 300m.

I’d concur with others that a decent thermal spotter would pay dividends, and I’ve seen s/h 2017 XQ38 units up for £1600 recently. Add in the Ward 800 and it’s only just outside your budget.

Where in Devon are you? PM me and we might be able to arrange a viewing.

To really help you best, we really need to know your budget and the sort of shooting you do most - distance in particular. You’ve stated some preferences, which helps.

I use a good NV add on, but the faff with set up makes using it as a spotter and a shooting tool complex, with a compromise of time if nothing else. I use add-on over dedicated because I like the flexibility ‘day’ glass gives. I have a dedicated TI spotter.

There are very few people who can purchase the ideal tools to shoot with NV from the off. It’s therefore about the compromises you want to make.

If you’re in the either/or scenario, I recommend buying the thermal spotter first. The rationale is simple: if you can’t see it, you can’t shoot it. Thermal spotter (pPulsar XQ30V - £1299 RRP) will tell you a great deal about what is happening on your land. You will learn a great deal about animal behaviour just watching. Also consider that even if it means you still need to lamp, the first time the lamp goes on, you are seeking to acquire your target - tips the balance in your favour.

For £350, a Photon or an NV add-on kit (and IR source) opens the door to the majority of foxing distances. It may be another compromise, but it opens the door and you can decide what you like and how you like to shoot while looking for you perfect scenario.
Budget is up to £2000. Primarily this kit will be for foxing and most foxes are between 100 and 200 yards. However it will be nice to be able to reach out to 300 yards if needed.
Thanks for your advice.

I am using exactly the same setup as Eric the Red suggests. The thermal works brilliantly in cold conditions, less so in warmer conditions as there is less temperature contrast. Still it is an eye opener to what is around.
Greatt for spotting rat build ups around feeders, deer counts at night( never thought we had so many !) the Photon 6.5 is a great piece of NV for the money.
As an afterthought it is terrifying to see how many pheasants can hug down on the ground on a windy night( like tonight).

Last edited:
Back