Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One of my favorite Cobble Guns.

One of my favorite Cobble Guns.

In light of JAYB's off forum lecture to me on the evil of scratches in gun stocks, I thought I'd post a pic of one of my favorite deer rifles. In 1996 I had retired from gunsmithing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brno 308.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	2385
    and reentered the post secondary education arena. All of my rifles were in storage and deer season was coming up; the last two weeks of which coincidentally fell in with the first two weeks of the semester break for the holidays. I'd had a long-standing invitation to hunt on the steps above the Yellow Stone and Big Horn rivers that I dearly wanted to take advantage of but had no scoped deer rifle at the house. I was working for a local gunsmith rebarreling M1 Garands and he offered me the loan of a rifle but I wanted my own and there was a gun show coming the following weekend. I was about broke but had $100 to spend on whatever I could find.

As it turned out there was plenty to buy at the show but all priced a few dollars beyond my budget. What I did see on my walk around was a Brno Model 98 action, drilled and tapped with a sporter bolt and a commercial safety. It was priced at $50 and I bought it with the idea of buying a Belgian 30-06 barrel from the gunsmith I worked for as I was certain that he had several.

Much to disappointment, he was out of the FN 30-06 barrels for the M-98 but he did have a 308 barrel that was made for trhe Israeli military, still in the grease. He charged me $35 for the barrel and I fitted it that hour. It screwed in and headspaced perfectly. So now I had a rifle but no stock and still had $15 left. Two days later I was at the Trading Post and the owner was swapping out stocks on a commercial Mauser bolt action .270; replacing the wooden one with a new and (more marketable) synthetic due to a shallow and unsightly elk carving rendered by one of our Native American neighbors into the original wood. For $5 I got the stock and a 2 boxes of large rifle primers. I had $10 left. I spent three dollars of that on some flat black, hi-temp enamel paint to finish the barrel with. I rasped out the carving and refinished the wood using 5% nitric acid to turn it brown.

I dropped the rifle into the stock and it was a perfect fit into the existing glass bedding. I was amazed. The barrel even floated after the first step which was my plan at the time. I mounted Burris Z-Rings and dug out a Weaver K2.5X for glass. I was set.

The Politicians of the time were pushing an assault rifle ban so in "protest" I modified the magazine to 9 shots using a second trigger-guard and magazine assembly purchased from my Boss for $5 cash, welding it to the original and joining the follower springs. It took some fiddling but it works flawlessly.

The result is what you see. Total cost: $98 US and some elbow grease. I have never shot a jacketed bullet through this rifle but have shot at least a thousand cast bullets through it; most of which I have to taper on the forward section to fit the short ball-seat throating. I heat treat these, loading most of these to jacketed bullet velocities and they kill deer handily. THis rifle will shoot cast bullets in three shot groups ranging from 5/16" to 7/8" depending on the bullet with RCBS's 188 grain giving the top accuracy. I have shot prairiedogs at 300M with RCBS's 165 grain bullet using this rifle. It's accuracy has never waivered.

So I took that $98 Cobble Gun hunting that winter and dropped the last mule deer buck I ever shot at 90 yards off hand with with a single shot. (Since then only shoot does) The fellow I was hunting with was so impressed with the performance he asked me to develop a load for his 30-06 using the same bullet.

Yesterday I dug the rifle out of the lock-up to use to teach a very young girl how to shoot this coming week. I'll use light cast loads. Anyhow... I decided to share the story of a $98 rifle in hopes that those who already don't know it will see that a really good rifle stalking doesn't need be pretty nor expensive. Thanks for the patience while I waxed reminiscent.~Muir
    Last edited by Muir; 23-08-2010 at 03:03.

Thanks for your story Muir, I really enjoyed it, and it shows great initiative much better and impressive than I brought stock from X manufacturer for 500 and barrel form X for a 1000 from another, trigger for 200 etc.

ATB

Tahr

Ol' misery has done nothing but bend my ear since he found out I was going to do the stock on mine, I'm not surprised that he has dug out one of his specials he just wants to make me feel bad. I have to admit though he does turn some real pigs into accurate rifles and always cheaply. If I hit on a decent cheap gun it is good fortune but with him it is knowledge the vision to see what is needed and the skill to do it and lets not forget the legislation that permits it. I don't begrudge him though he has a lot of stress in his life, but she is getting married this year!

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Having put that much work into it, I'm not surprised it's one of your favourites. If I'm lucky enought to drop a deer with my Mod E, I can see it becoming my favourite purely because the whole outfit cost me just 200.
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Neat Muir, very neat, and a good tale!

I didn't realise that your middle names were "Ol' Misery" though?

ft
    Last edited by flytie; 23-08-2010 at 11:57. Reason: Lack of punctuation, due to a Comprehensive School education.
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.

Neither did I! He'd better watch out calling my eldest the Stress in my life; she'll flay the hide off of him!~Muir

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    In light of JAYB's off forum lecture to me on the evil of scratches in gun stocks, I thought I'd post a pic of one of my favorite deer rifles. In 1996 I had retired from gunsmithing
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Brno 308.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	2385
    and reentered the post secondary education arena. All of my rifles were in storage and deer season was coming up; the last two weeks of which coincidentally fell in with the first two weeks of the semester break for the holidays. I'd had a long-standing invitation to hunt on the steps above the Yellow Stone and Big Horn rivers that I dearly wanted to take advantage of but had no scoped deer rifle at the house. I was working for a local gunsmith rebarreling M1 Garands and he offered me the loan of a rifle but I wanted my own and there was a gun show coming the following weekend. I was about broke but had $100 to spend on whatever I could find.

As it turned out there was plenty to buy at the show but all priced a few dollars beyond my budget. What I did see on my walk around was a Brno Model 98 action, drilled and tapped with a sporter bolt and a commercial safety. It was priced at $50 and I bought it with the idea of buying a Belgian 30-06 barrel from the gunsmith I worked for as I was certain that he had several.

Much to disappointment, he was out of the FN 30-06 barrels for the M-98 but he did have a 308 barrel that was made for trhe Israeli military, still in the grease. He charged me $35 for the barrel and I fitted it that hour. It screwed in and headspaced perfectly. So now I had a rifle but no stock and still had $15 left. Two days later I was at the Trading Post and the owner was swapping out stocks on a commercial Mauser bolt action .270; replacing the wooden one with a new and (more marketable) synthetic due to a shallow and unsightly elk carving rendered by one of our Native American neighbors into the original wood. For $5 I got the stock and a 2 boxes of large rifle primers. I had $10 left. I spent three dollars of that on some flat black, hi-temp enamel paint to finish the barrel with. I rasped out the carving and refinished the wood using 5% nitric acid to turn it brown.

I dropped the rifle into the stock and it was a perfect fit into the existing glass bedding. I was amazed. The barrel even floated after the first step which was my plan at the time. I mounted Burris Z-Rings and dug out a Weaver K2.5X for glass. I was set.

The Politicians of the time were pushing an assault rifle ban so in "protest" I modified the magazine to 9 shots using a second trigger-guard and magazine assembly purchased from my Boss for $5 cash, welding it to the original and joining the follower springs. It took some fiddling but it works flawlessly.

The result is what you see. Total cost: $98 US and some elbow grease. I have never shot a jacketed bullet through this rifle but have shot at least a thousand cast bullets through it; most of which I have to taper on the forward section to fit the short ball-seat throating. I heat treat these, loading most of these to jacketed bullet velocities and they kill deer handily. THis rifle will shoot cast bullets in three shot groups ranging from 5/16" to 7/8" depending on the bullet with RCBS's 188 grain giving the top accuracy. I have shot prairiedogs at 300M with RCBS's 165 grain bullet using this rifle. It's accuracy has never waivered.

So I took that $98 Cobble Gun hunting that winter and dropped the last mule deer buck I ever shot at 90 yards off hand with with a single shot. (Since then only shoot does) The fellow I was hunting with was so impressed with the performance he asked me to develop a load for his 30-06 using the same bullet.

Yesterday I dug the rifle out of the lock-up to use to teach a very young girl how to shoot this coming week. I'll use light cast loads. Anyhow... I decided to share the story of a $98 rifle in hopes that those who already don't know it will see that a really good rifle stalking doesn't need be pretty nor expensive. Thanks for the patience while I waxed reminiscent.~Muir
    My kind of rifle.

Love the way he just drops in hunting "the steps above the Yellow stone and Big Horn rivers", a hunters paradise, I'm going back next year to do the Park trips again becouse on the day we arrived at the Custer memorial, we didn,t have enough time there, Montana, Idaho and Wyomeing are huge areas, Big sky land, I'd love to do a wilderness hunt in the States, found the mid west to full of the most open and friendly people Ive ever met, price of bullets, etc crazy, bought 300 .270 and 200 .243 back. Empty suitcases next year, at 65 I'd be too old to pack in and out I guess, should have done when I was younger. deerwarden.

Quote Originally Posted by Muir View Post
    Neither did I! He'd better watch out calling my eldest the Stress in my life; she'll flay the hide off of him!~Muir
    There's a whole potential thread there that I think's best left un-visited!
    You can't say muntjac without saying, Mmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by deerwarden View Post
    Love the way he just drops in hunting "the steps above the Yellow stone and Big Horn rivers", a hunters paradise, I'm going back next year to do the Park trips again becouse on the day we arrived at the Custer memorial, we didn,t have enough time there, Montana, Idaho and Wyomeing are huge areas, Big sky land, I'd love to do a wilderness hunt in the States, found the mid west to full of the most open and friendly people Ive ever met, price of bullets, etc crazy, bought 300 .270 and 200 .243 back. Empty suitcases next year, at 65 I'd be too old to pack in and out I guess, should have done when I was younger. deerwarden.
    DW, that's why horses were invented! I have seen some fabulous trips advertised where they use horses to get in and out of really wild areas. Don't give up on your dream

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.