Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DSC1 course at Ilkley in september-just booked on.

DSC1 course at Ilkley in september-just booked on.

Right I have just booked on to do my DSC1 at Ilkley from the 9th to the 12th september and i was wondering if anyone else on here may be on it? also what to expect from the shooting test? I have been reading through the manuel and it seems to say that all i need to do is put 3 shots in a 4 inch target at 100 yards or something similar but i am sure that i read somewhere that you then need to do 50 yards kneeling from sticks and 25 yards standing from sticks, is this true? not that it should be too hard anyway. I'm really looking forward to seeing what i can learn from it

G

hi groach

the shooting test for the dsc is straight forward, first of all you will shoot a zeroing target a group of 3 shots, if your happy with that you then then go through the shoot test, you get 3 attempts at it.

100yds 2 shots prone
    70 yds 2 shots kneeling with sticks or bipod
    40 yds 2 shots standing with sticks or bipod

all shots must be within the kill area on the deer target

who you doing it with..

f.

Ask the course organiser to confirm the shooting test details. Don't rely on second hand info. Get the details and practice the test. Let us know when you have passed. Rgds jcs

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    who you doing it with..

F.
    bds.

G

hi,

don't know what's happened since i took mine with them,
    the course instruction where very clear especially the shooting side.
    i would suggest either some of the pages are missing or you have over looked em.
    they will look after you well, good bunch of instructors.
    have you been told whose taking you.

atb with it f.

G.

Contact Dave Goffin at the following url: http://www.bds.org.uk/page132.html

Rgds
    JCS

jcs,

he took me on mine SOUND chap..

f.

Quote Originally Posted by centralbeltstalker View Post
    hi,

don't know what's happened since i took mine with them,
    the course instruction where very clear especially the shooting side.
    i would suggest either some of the pages are missing or you have over looked em.
    they will look after you well, good bunch of instructors.
    have you been told whose taking you.

atb with it f.
    Only booked today but think the bumph is in the post.

G

Groach, I did mine through the BDS at ilkley. Its likely to be Vince Reynolds who runs the course. He has a gunsmithing company called viper engineering.

Goldypurple is right about the shooting test although what he said about the 3 zeroing rounds isnt quite true. The shooting test is split into two parts. the first part is 3 shots @ 100m using any aid you would use when stalking. You can do it prone, sitting or whatever. This part of the test requires all 3 shots to fall within a 4'' circle. Part 2 of the test is as GP said 2x shots @ 100m prone, 2x shots @ 70m sitting (you can use a long bipod) and finally 2x shots @ 40m standing off sticks or any other aid you use. The target is a generic deer target with a kill zone on it which can be seen close up but not at distance. The same as what are sold on the BDS website. The shooting test is fine, you also have a practical safety test which could be assessed by anothert BDS guy who helps out called Robert, he's a really nice guy. If i were you i would keep going over the safety questions until your completely happy with them as that practical test requires 100% pass mark. Have you got the deerquest CD? Although the seasons bit is out of date, the rest of the questions are good because you can see if you have got the question right there and then whereas the book questions have no answers..