Can taxidermy be redone?

Rob northeast

Hi just wondering wether a roe deer shoulder mount can be redone or not?
I ask because I had 2 roe buck shoulder mounts done on some deer I shot in Hungary, the outfitter has notified me that they are ready to be shipped and has sent me some pics, the work looks ok from what I can see but the shape of the foams or forms that they are mounted on don't look rite! It just doesn't look Like the shape of a roe deer head,
So my question is, when I get them back would it be possible to get the capes put on different foams or forms (I'm not sure what the proper name is for the foam templates)

Absolutely, they will wet them back unstitch and put on different forms , what would be handy for the taxidermist are the measurements of the 'dead' deer so they can match a form as close as possible , or if there are any issues you could put another cape on them , but it's not the same in my opinion ??, all very do-able though , sometimes pictures don't do justice little things like ears not set up right or eyes not set right will have a massive effect and can be reset on the original form

Last edited:
Good to know thanks, yes I agree the original capes would be best, unfortunately I don't have measurements but I do have lots of pictures

Was the taxidermist related to Stevie Wonder? Or is it just some of that new fangled 'impressionist/brutalist' art? Looks like the guy had never seen a living one, just slapped the skins over a bit foam. Sorry for the frank nature of my personal opinion, but there is nothing worse than bad taxidermy.

A young lad up here used to fancy himself as a bit of a 'stuffer' I remember one guy asking me (upon seeing a stag head on a hotel wall that he had done) "what sort of speed do you think the stag was doing when it came through the wall?"!

The answer is not easily.

Much depends on if the cape was tanned properly and it should be glued to the manakin. This will make is difficult to remove and honestly it would not be worth it in the end.
Best to learn from it and make sure you get a good taxidermist to mount your trophies next time. You could however find a taxidermist to remove the antlers from the mount and match it to a spare cape and remount it. That would probably be your best option.

You can definitely get a remount.

My taxidermist has has won competitions worldwide and even beat the yanks in their own soil with American animals.

I’ve seen my taxidermists work on remounts sorting out some very questionable work by other taxidermists. He remounted them to the point you’d never have known it had been previously mounted.

He did this roe from scratch, it’s only of my favourite throughout my collection of 11 animals from around the world.

Give him a shout.

Steve Newcombe from Outwoods Taxidermy

http://www.outwoodstaxidermy.com/

You’ll see a number of my mounts on his website.

A78DBF39-F273-42D0-94CE-7BBF1A009919.jpeg

Last edited:
Back