Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bolt Face

Question Bolt Face

What's the favourite way to get rid of the dirty ring of powder from the bolt face without filling the firing pin hole full of crud?

Account Suspended

Simples! Disassemble the bolt and clean thoroughly. Should take you all of 2.5 minutes from start to finish.

Plenty of step by step guides available if you don't know how to strip and clean a bolt.

How long have you been shooting? I ask as its a rather basic question and standardised solution.
    Last edited by Jack Jones; 23-08-2010 at 16:15.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Jones View Post

Simples! Disassemble the bolt and clean thoroughly. Should take you all of 2.5 minutes from start to finish.

Plenty of step by step guides available if you don't know how to strip and clean a bolt.

How long have you been shooting? I ask as its a rather basic question and standardised solution.
    Not all rifle bolts disassemble easily as specialized tooling are needed in the case of Shoenaur which i dont have and the method I adopt to clean my bolt without it having to go to a gunsmiths for servicing is carbon tetrachloride with the aid of a old tooth brush as carbon tet is a extreemly volatile solvent be careful in its use , the vapours are toxic
    You eas until recentl able to purchase carbon tet manufactured under the trade name Thawpit and to a lesser strength Dab it Off but I think its been banned unless you know a friendly chemist.
    Last edited by Mannlicher_Stu; 23-08-2010 at 18:05.

Quote Originally Posted by Mannlicher_Stu View Post
    You eas until recentl able to purchase .....
    Presumably you've been doing some bolt cleaning recently?

My preferred method of carbon/crud removal is a piece of plastic pan scourer with a dab of pretty much any of the proprietary gun cleaners. It certainly reduces the rate of brain rot caused by inhaling carbon tet fumes.

Hello Newbie, Thank you for your post, I have cleaned/stripped many bolts, however I thought it would be beneficial to the forum to start a topic that had not been covered before.
    Have a nice day.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by DL View Post
    I have cleaned/stripped many bolts,
    Really.....? One would never have guessed

however I thought it would be beneficial to the forum to start a topic that had not been covered before.
    Rather an obscure subject matter to start a purely speculative thread about. Still at least you know what to do now.

Dan

the pressurised canisters of brake cleaner or mountain bike cleaners are good at removing the build up of detritis around the bolt face.

Personally, I remove the FP assembly too and give the pin a wipe and reoil (sparingly), as if the bolt face has a build up on it, you can rest assured there will be some muck inside too.

Doing this precautionary task may prevent a misfire.

Hope this helps.

Great, would you like to find me one for a Browning X Bolt please, as my bolt could do with a good clean.
    As for how long have I been shooting, long enough to know you don't take a bolt apart unless you know how to reasemble it properly.

Neil.

"Add-it" carburettor cleaner, just the ticket

What's the favourite way to get rid of the dirty ring of powder from the bolt face without filling the firing pin hole full of crud?
    What dirty ring of powder? From what part of the bolt face? What are you getting that won't wipe off with solvent and a patch?~Muir