Difference in weight between different profile Lother Walther barrels

DCG

I was wondering if anyone knew the difference, in weight, between comparative ( ie length and calibre) barrels in the following profiles from Lothar walther
1400# heavy weight sporter
1300# standard sporter
1200# light weight sporter
calibre, by the way, will be 7mm08
Im trying to work out the difference which the choice of barrel contour is going to make to the finished rifle.
Even better if anyone could point me in the direction of relavent chart.
dcg

Hi palo,
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Yes I did that, but for example in the lightweight sporter profile it didnt register any difference in weight between .224 calibre and .30 calibre. It gives a bit of an idea but obviously therefore not exact and I’m trying to shave grams of the package.
Ive emailed Lothar Walther but as yet I’ve had no reply.

I have a 7mm 1400 that has not yet been fitted which I could weigh if that helps. ??

Depends also on the smith fitting. Some smiths turn the chamber area down to the same diameter as say a previous factory barrel was. This can be quite a difference in weight and the old stock will also fit. Other smiths leave the large 30.5mm? diameter but with stock issues then. Also the first section can be shortened which also saves weight. One can 1:1 make a copy of a factory barrel in the first 3-4".
The 1400 has a good diameter to fit M14x1 mod thread.
I also have a 1450 fitted but that is quite a heavy barrel. Half way between sporter and varmint.
edi

I have a 7mm 1400 that has not yet been fitted which I could weigh if that helps. ??

Depends also on the smith fitting. Some smiths turn the chamber area down to the same diameter as say a previous factory barrel was. This can be quite a difference in weight and the old stock will also fit. Other smiths leave the large 30.5mm? diameter but with stock issues then. Also the first section can be shortened which also saves weight. One can 1:1 make a copy of a factory barrel in the first 3-4".
The 1400 has a good diameter to fit M14x1 mod thread.
I also have a 1450 fitted but that is quite a heavy barrel. Half way between sporter and varmint.
edi
Hi Edi,
Thanks for that, if you’ve got the time, I’d appreciate you weighing that 1400# profile, I’m guessing it’ll be at 26” at the moment.
Are you intending fitting it anytime soon? I suppose it’d also be very interesting, when you do fit it, what an inch of barrel from the muzzle end weighs.
kind regards
dcg

Back