Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thinking of putting in for a centerfire for fox

Thinking of putting in for a centerfire for fox

I'm thinking of putting in for either .22 hornet or .204 ruger for fox and rabbit. However this premission I have is only around 15 acres big, has a footpath running though the middle and a few rural houses on outskirts. The point being, however, is the landowner has a real problem with local foxes taking hens and such, and would like them delt with. Would the small land size and footpath make it likely to be passed for a small centerfire. It's already passed for .22RF and FAC air.

Cheers

cant answer you for sure but work out wheres best for shooting from and put a highseat in so you use the ground as backstop that should help,wayne

I have a small piece of land over which I shoot foxes and there is a country park to one side of the land.The police approved .22 hornet no problem. I can't fault the hornet,not too much noise (T4 moderator fitted) and good for up to 200 yards.I use 35 grain v-max ammo which drops them on the spot but it can be a bit pricey.I recently bought a highseat and as above I'd recommend that you mention to the police that you'd use one or more if there's any problems.
    I know a dealer with a hornet in stock,let me know and I'll drop you the details if you like.

All the best.

fraser

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshua View Post
    I'm thinking of putting in for either .22 hornet or .204 ruger for fox and rabbit. However this premission I have is only around 15 acres big, has a footpath running though the middle and a few rural houses on outskirts. The point being, however, is the landowner has a real problem with local foxes taking hens and such, and would like them delt with. Would the small land size and footpath make it likely to be passed for a small centerfire. It's already passed for .22RF and FAC air.

Cheers
    15 acres, not a chance round here, shoot them with the RF

Some / most plod areas will take a dim view of rimfire for fox, & yet others on here are ticketed for fox with HMR's, ?????
    (The Unspeakable In Pursuit Of The Uneatable.) " If I can help, I will help!." Former S.A.C.S. member!

Quote Originally Posted by Les Brooks View Post
    15 acres, not a chance round here, shoot them with the RF
    You'd better invite me up then Les - then we could use my .308!

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by Orion View Post
    You'd better invite me up then Les - then we could use my .308!
    Come fill ya boots.
    If ya miss though the .223 is coming out :-)

Phone your force licensing dept.
    When the land was previously inspected a view should have been taken by the FEO of the suitability of any CF on that land, so ask them that question.

And if they do not offer an opinion ask them to carry out a land check for CF

They err on the side of caution, as their pensions are at risk if a risk turns into reality.

.22H or .222? from a high seat.
    Last edited by jack; 24-08-2010 at 18:19. Reason: form to from

Josh,

All to do with a really good presentation for the risk assessment. Attend location with FEO. Print a Google map of the area and mark on it footpaths and high seat locations (if required......and it sounds like they are), precise arcs of fire, average distance to target, footpaths and their average use/times, your times of shooting activity eg only to be conducted between the hours of x and y etc. There is no such thing as a parcel of land that is NOT safe to shoot on but it is up to you to present your case armed with as much knowledge of the land as possible. Get a printout of the ballistics tables for the C/F that you think appropriate and show the FEO that the calibre would be exactly right for performing the function safely and humanely. I personally think that the .222 may fit the bill but don't be surprised if they will only pass it for .17HMR (They can't refuse that by the way as it's already cleared for.22RF)

Your call..............

Rocky
    The pure and simple truth is rarely pure and never simple

Push hard for the Hornet, that plus a strategically placed high seat should suit nicely. get you FEO to attend show him exactly what you want and why, it should be OK. Then when he OK's it I shall sell you a classic Hornet complete with Brass and dies

John
    A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses