Looking for Deer Stalking let / small syndicate membership

smithp18

Hi All
I am on the look out for a opportunity to either manage or be part of a very small syndicate managing deer and their environment.
I have contacted a number of land agents and forest management companies and currently I am awaiting feed back,
I have DSC1 and currently working through my DSC2 portfolio, which I hope to have complete by year-end, all things being equal.
I live in the North west of England and will travel. I am purely a recreational stalker and have been for some years, the area I live in a good area for deer with plenty of stalking but unfortunately dead man shoes restrict access.
If anybody can help or guide me on the best approach and way forward I would be more than grateful. Or if anybody would be interested in being contacted if I am offered some ground which is to big for one person and would like to share with one other person please be in touch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Smithy,
I've been on the site for a couple of weeks and I'm finding that most of the people on this site are very helpful. Just ask about, post regularly and you will be pleasantly surprised!
The banter can get rather caustic but don't let that put you off. We need more posters, otherwise its just the same people all the time. Anyway welcome and good luck!

If you are a member of the BDS they are know offering stalking purely for DSC2 candidates. They have got some land up in Scotland (see this months Deer Journal). You can't keep the meat though. :cry:

Hi lads, be careful of the BASC offering stalking. I had a good freind of mine go up with another guy about 3 years ago on the same scheme but a different area. Total waste of time, place had been overshot, and was sub let from another man who had asked them not to tell any forestry workers if they saw any deer!!!

Yes you guessed it, it was FC land that had the cra-p shot out of it. Out of the 6 stalkers over 2 days, they shot one deer. They did see a few other deer, but they were so spooked you couldnt get on to them. Most were wearing tin helmets and flack jackets!! I am afraid I do not have a great deal of time for BASC, stung once with them over Level 2, never again, what they know about deer stalking you could put in a thimble.

Thanks Malcolm, I was thinking of trying the scheme out if I didn't get anything sorted by the end of the year. I won't bother. I keep hearing that there is no money in deer management, but someone must be doing alright out of it, The Forestry Commission, BASC and BDS I would imagine. Oh and of course all these magazines that give you the big headlines 'How to shoot monster stags, be a better stalker, cheap stalking for all'! Buy the mag and its some nice pictures and four paragraphs of 'complete toss!'
I've been stalking with a well known hunting writer, very little respect for the deer, liked taking money off 'Greenhorns'.

FC

When I first got a stalking rifle I got it on my ticket by booking a Basc/FC scheme in the midlands about 13 years ago. I had never shot a deer in my life and the first shot I was asked to take was leaning on the rangers shoulder at a deer 200 yds up a steep bank as he said wack er in the ribs, I refused to take the shot at which point he got quite arsey with me and never spoke for the rest of the stalk. Two more stalks on separate occasions resulted in me being several pounds lighter(not a bad thing) from the amount of miles we marched and not a sight of a deer. I returned home thinking this isn't what I thought stalking would be like and sold my rifle.
12 months later I decided to try again with a chap called Charles from Swindon area who had some ground in Hampshire I had a fantastic time shot a little cull buck but saw many bucks before we saw the one he wanted and he treated the deer with a massive amount of respect.
I was hooked.

WD

Hi. All
It’s Interesting to read your views and experiences on these schemes run by reputable organisations!, and broadly speaking do such a lot of good hard work.
If this is a true reflection on the quality of stalking to be expected then at some point it will back fire and do more harm than good in the long run.
It was probably started with the best intensions and you can see that, but as with most things related to hunting and management of wild life there has to be a balanced and controlled approach with lots prior planning and thought going into it, the one thing which is common across all aspects of hunting, shooting or fishing is at all costs avoid over doing it or you will pay in the long run and it may be the case that you will never recover.

Smithy

Hi Smithy, I am not saying that BASC is not a good organisation, but basically with the stalking side it has a great deal to catch up on. The area in question I believe was split into 500 acre blocks. According to my friend he could see the neighbouring stalker most of the time, as his area was fairly open. He was also told by the stalker on one particular area that it would make a fine shot on a deer from here; pointing to an area about 400yds away! That did not go down well with my friend.

My friends suspicions were raised when they were taken round, as the grass in the firebrakes had not seen a deer on it for years, and there was hardly a slot or sign of a deer anywhere.

I think the basic idea is a very good one, although I believe you had to have a least Level 1 to be able to stalk the area. Although I am a member of BDS I was not aware they had an area for members to stalk over, where is this area? does anybody know? just interested, I have no intention of going.

Hi Malcolm,
In answer to your question. Deer Journal spring 2007, page 45, North Dunfries 1,650 acre tennacy. Forestry Commission land.

BDS 'one off' admin fee £75
Witness fee £50
Cull fee £35
Venision is not for sale!

Thanks BDS 'Poke it!' :evil:

ps Malcolm did you get my last pm?

Yes Carl, thanks for the info, seems a bit expensive to me. You can get a days Red hind stalking for about £150 a day in Scotland, less than that if you look araound. I will pm you.

Hi All,
Just for your info I last year hind stalking near loch Tay was £100 a day, hard work but superb stalking,
I have been paying £300 a day for cull stags usually two beasts.
There is also a membership scheme run by the North Western BDS branch called Greenfield deer management group. There ground is near Hawes north Yorkshire and about 2500 acres, This is run by a really nice guy called Peter Robson from Kendal, you need to be level 1 and apply and register but it gets booked up.
I have a number of contacts for stalking mainly the Lake District and Scottish borders, they are really sound guys and I don’t know your circumstances but if you need and further info get in touch,
Congrts to Wayne on the pig well done.

Smithy

malcolm said:
Hi lads, be careful of the BASC offering stalking. I had a good freind of mine go up with another guy about 3 years ago on the same scheme but a different area. Total waste of time, place had been overshot, and was sub let from another man who had asked them not to tell any forestry workers if they saw any deer!!!

Yes you guessed it, it was FC land that had the cra-p shot out of it. Out of the 6 stalkers over 2 days, they shot one deer. They did see a few other deer, but they were so spooked you couldnt get on to them. Most were wearing tin helmets and flack jackets!! I am afraid I do not have a great deal of time for BASC, stung once with them over Level 2, never again, what they know about deer stalking you could put in a thimble.

I cant disagree with that comment.
I assisted on Arran and never even saw a red hind never mind shoot one
Re the DSC1 training its all a scam
I held the Woodlands stalking cert for years and because i didnt convert under the grandfather rights they would not accept it and i had to re take the DSC1 exam again just so that i could carry on stalking on F.C ground

I have been a life member of BASC since 1970 and i am disgusted in the way they have turned this into a money spinner.
Those are my personal views

I am currently a member of two syndicates operating within dumfrieshire and if the gentleman has his DSC1 as claimed i suggest that he contacts the Wildlife Manager at the Forest of AY as leases often become available

Kind Regards
SWR

The BASC scheme on the Isle of Arran shot 161 deer last year, at a cost of £175 per week for hinds and £350 per week for stags.
With 8 outings per week, that equates to £21 for hinds and £43 for stags.
There is 27,000 acres and the cull figure has not changed in the last 20 years and is fully sustainable.
The stalking can be arduous to say the least but the rewards are well worth it.
Basc has a 75% return from stalkers on the Isle of Arran, this in itself speaks volumes!

It seems to me after quickly reading some of the posts that they heard it from a friend or a bloke in a pub, lets have some actual experiences from
those that have been there and done it!

regards
griff

SWR,
as I sit here writing this I am looking at the BDS stalking scheme in Dalmacallan forest which is only 800 yds away. Let me assure you that the head forester at AE who I know, is not re-assigning any leases and will be keeping them in house..
regards
griff

BASC ARRAN

As a member who paid his money, went over to ARRAN and shot a 8 point stag on the first day followed by a 10point stag on the Wednesday, I can assure you that the guys on the island running the scheme are spot on.

I could have had 2 more with a bit of luck and if i new the land better.

You cannot guarantee everyone a beast and some are just not up to it.

The tree lines are 1000ft and the hills open up thereafter. Hard going initially but well worth it.

I will post pictures of the heads at the ranger station in Brodick if someone gives guidance.

So bottom line is it is called deer stalking NOT deer talking. Pay your money and take your chances as you wont shoot anything watching telly.

308boy,
it was either myself or Bpb that dragged them in !
Isn't it amazing how quite it goes when those that say they have been are confronted with someone who has!
C'mon SWR when were you there and how many were shot? Just becuase you didn't shoot any, doesn't mean that there were non shot for that week!

regards
griff

Deer stalking is a bit like fishing sometimes you shoot deer and sometimes its just a bloody good walk :lol:
If your not out your definately not going to shoot a deer but I have and if everyone was honest had many a blank day.
I enjoy the stalking whether or not I shoot a deer or not.I believe it is a bonus if I come home with a beast for the fridge.
If you pay alot of money for stalking you might expect to shoot a deer but these things are wild animals if you want a guarenteed kill go to a deer park and help with the cull
Hind-sight

smithp 18
I live in northwest area and might be up for sharing, i have various stalking available to me currently but really fancy my own land.
I hold a level 2 and can assess land for suitability

Kentsherrington@btinternet.com

I was on the BASC ground on ARRAN earlier this month, its hard stalking but plenty of deer about. Organisation is excellent, large beats that take some time to learn, so colleague and I concentrated on the honey-pots and got 3 deer.

Your stalking companion is the key to the success of the trip, go with someone you know and you will be fine – weather permitting. Those who haven’t stalked before should go on some accompanied stalking like BASC organises in the King’s Forest.

It will take some time for BASC to build a pool of experienced stalkers, who know the beats and have the inclination to take novices out - but look at the value, £175 and all your carcases are taken off the beat for you, and in the stag season for £300 medal heads are shot.

Make sure you stay in the Auchrannie, £50 for 2x so only £25 a night!

Back