Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which .257 bullet?

Which .257 bullet?

Ive used a 25-06 for the last ten or so years, in fact the original rifle is now on its second barrel and to be honest, I love the calibre.

My usual bullet of choice is a 100g Speer Hot Core (bonded bullet) and up until recently, I have had no issues with performance.

Accuracy is very good, ive never had any animal walk more than a dozen paces after being shot, usually they are DRT, be that heart / lung or necked.

However,, just of late, I am finding that there is alot of hydrolastic damage - a quartering shot will cause a " blown" shoulder if the bullet passes too closely to the connective tissue for instance.

(were talking predominatly Reds here by the way - I dont get the same problem with Roe)

There could be several reasons for this, I know;

one thing I am doing is taking animals alot closer than I used to, most of my shots are now under 100 mtrs - I wonder if this is the prime reason for the damage.

Simply, the bullet is travelling too fast to maintain controlled expansion.

I shot three staggies earlier in the month with the 25-06, all bettween 70 and 90 mtrs, all chest, no shoulder contact, yet all exhibiting "blown" shoulder.

Last light, yesterday, took another staggie, this time at 150 mtrs (quartering) with the 6.5x284 and a Barnes TSX - no shoulder damage........and total pass through - chest wall - chest wall and exit.

This makes me think that the .257 100g Speers are not quite up to the job in the 25-06.

So, I wonder what alternatives are used out there, suggestions gratefully welcomed;

My own thoughts are:

117 Hornady Interlock

120 Sierra Prohunter

120 Sierra Gameking

Ive already tried partitions - hate the darn things - too inaccurate for me.

Dont want any kind of "ballistic" tip..

Anyone any suggestions on a reliable, sturdy and accurate .257" alternative to the current loading that weighs bettween 100 - 120 g?

Unless of course Barnes now do .257 solids......
    Last edited by Ronin; 24-08-2010 at 19:15.

Ive already tried partitions - hate the darn things - too inaccurate for me.

have to totally agree Partitions can be a right pain, but with Patience and trial they will clover leaf no prob's at 100yrd's. I have got the 120g Partitons to do this in 3 different Sauer 202, Tikka T3 Hunter and a Manlicher mk11 pro Hunter!!!!!!!
    For Deer i only use 120g an sometimes 117g. Grand Slam 120g i have found good. Due to the increase in the price of Nosler Partition i am this season trialing 117g Hornady Round Nose as yet they have done all i would want from a bullet. Unless i get some very bad results i will use these to cull ALL my 150-200 Deer to build a true picture to how i feel about these bullets. Hope this may of been some help to you. PM me i would be more than willing to share my loads with you

i too use the .25-06 speer hotcore but no reds just for roe....and dont have this problem.(why not on roe? only on reds)

used to use nosler partion in my old .25-06 but not keen on them

havent had time to try much else.

did have 87grn sierra hollow point i think they were....and were amazing groupings but used them more as a varmint round.

sauer

Thanks for the replies so far.

Sauer

Why not on roe?, I can only guess that the animals skin is thinner so the bullet is not subjected to severe stress on impact, whereas Reds are a different kettle of fish.

I think 87g would be a step in the wrong direction...

Stalkerboydy

thanks for the kind offer, I used to use 117g Interlocks, to some success using RL22, I have plenty of choice for powders, and think I will look at 120's to begin with.

My nearest shop has some 120 Gamekings in stock, ive just changed the scope on this rifle too, so a day at the range is in order anyway.

Are there any 25 cal Berger V.L.Ds in the country? They are advertised as hunting/target bullets in the States.

Quote Originally Posted by longlowdog View Post
    Are there any 25 cal Berger V.L.Ds in the country? They are advertised as hunting/target bullets in the States.
    100 or 110 hollow points!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! fired five to zero group of Fallow 60-70yrds took first one through lower shoulder dropped to shot, ribbed fallow number two Spent next three hrs finding them BOTH had very large entry holes and had not got through to opposite ribb's JMHO steer clear unless ur paper punching

Just checked the Berger site, .25 cal' V.L.Ds are 115grain and are deffo in the hunting and the target pages of the site. I personally don't mind a bullet that dumps its energy straight into the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by longlowdog View Post
    Just checked the Berger site, .25 cal' V.L.Ds are 115grain and are deffo in the hunting and the target pages of the site. I personally don't mind a bullet that dumps its energy straight into the beast.
    go for it mate we all like different cal's,bullet weight's, Deer and shot placement. If it work's an your happy good. I just posted what i have found, As i cull a few Deer at times i get asked to try them out, as stated shooting more than one Deer unless i feel they really are no good. The bloke who started htis thread hates Nosler Partition i love them. BE lucky what ever your choice

Shot a lot of Sika including rutting stags with the 100gn Hornady soft point. If it deals with them I'm confident it will do the business on reds. Very accurate in my rifle at the time.

Not sure if Sierra actually make a 120 grn bullet (I will check it out just out of curiosity) but I have used the 117 grn Pro Hunter on Fallow and I was very impressed with this bullet.

Ranges from 100 to 280 yards and on an average sized pricket (read dressed out weight of late 30 kilo's) I had a complete pass through on 4/5 times at around the 250 to 280 mark and this was a shoulder shot on all occasions. I was very impressed. They are just about the cheapest bullets you can buy and I put it down to the flat base design ensuring a more controlled expansion.

I would definitely try these first if you can get them as I am pretty confident you will not be dissapointed with the terminal effect.