Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What cheap, easy way to clean brass?

Quote Originally Posted by Fursty Ferret View Post
    Are you guys serious about not cleaning the brass? I am relativley new to reloading, only been doing it a couple of years so certainly not in a position to advise, but surely your not reloading dirty cases? Im not just talking "shiny" external brass here.....surely the inside of the case and primer pocket needs to be as clean as possible before you are reloading them??
    You might be surprised by how well filthy cases will shoot so long as the primer is seated correctly.

K
    The enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.

I use a Lyman turbo media tumbler which does a good job, then a lee primer pocket tool to remove the primer residue.

I got a cheap rock tumbler off amazon for about 65 a year back and some stainless pins from eBay. Gets my brass squeaky clean and the primer pockets. I also bought a cheap food dehydrator for 30 to dry them and its works great also..no need to spend mega money, I got sick of manually cleaning primer pockets, and dirty brass doesn't do your dies any good over time..

cleaning is useful in determining the integrity of your brass, and it's a nice vanity, but for most centrefire stalking ammo it won't have much of an effect on accuracy. Probably no measurable effect.

Wet tumbling with stainless media does get the cases looking like new - which can be useful on occasions where you don't want to have to answer questions about the origin of your ammo.

If you take your time and use a good light or torch to check your cases, and clean out the primer pocket at least then further cleaning is essentially discretionary (obviously, if your brass is full of mud or sand that's a different matter). Especially as with a Lee loader there's no lube to remove from the cases.

i clean the outside with a lee holder and some kitchen pad, the ones that are green in most shops. its like wire wool. i imagine it helps with gripping the chamber better. fine wire wool does similar.

I must admit i don't clean the insides but will start too as carbon buildup inside the case can reduce volume and change pressure which alters accuracy

acid and water seem like a good idea in boiling water

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	lee loader.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	229.9 KB 
ID:	90812
    found it matey, ill drop it off when I'm passing yourssoon.
    I wish I was half the hunter my dog thinks I am

I just stick mine in the dishwasher, and then when I trim I give them a good wipe with a tea towel.

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post

Many thanks, you're a real star!

Quote Originally Posted by sinbad View Post

Well done Sinbad, you're a good one, this is what the directory should be about, helping others when they need it.

Scoby270