Hornets and wee beaties

Peter Eaton

Just as a matter of interest, Ive loads of hornets visiting my garden for the apples n plums...are theyn the nasty bast#rds they are made out to be or are they placid? Also when I go to to the top of my field to watch the deer, about 2 hours after i am itching like a good un...normaly back of knees, armpit, crotch or feet....what little gits may be responsible? Normally come up in a bump..never seen the culprits as yet and dont feel em bite...oh and the seem to get under clothing with ease....any ideas before my blood is sucked from me?

Pete

Last edited:
Just as a matter of interest, Ive loads of hornets visiting my garden for the apples n plums...are theyn the nasty bast#rds they are made out to be or are they placid? Also when I go to to the top of my field to watch the deer, about 2 hours after i am itching like a good un...normaly back of knees, armpit, crotch or feet....what little gits may be responsible? Normally come up in a bump..never seen the culprits as yet and dont feel em bite...oh and the seem to get under clothing with ease....any ideas before my blood is sucked from me?

Pete
Hornets are very placid and rarely sting, you can hold one in your hand.
As for the other bits I reckon you are a bit sweaty

Pete
Hi chickenman, Hornets are not after your apples/plums as they dont eat sweet things they atr probely after wasps as they eat other insects, most of the time they are very placid, only dont up set a nest of them as i found out a couple of years ago, they will chase you and when they sting you, boy that is something els !!!

Ditto on the comments on Hornets. Gentle giants normally.

Are you sure there are no keds about? Keds don't bite everyone but they seem to like biting me. Perhaps they like you just as much. Lucky you!

Re. the Hornets they def. look like they are eating the fruit and they seem to be at peace with the wasps. Regarding me being sweaty, I was known as a greasy dago wapp amongst other things when I was in the RAF so maybe they were right and thats why im being eaten alive!:D A few of my neighbours have been bitten too, what ever they are the like grass and live in it. I look like a bleeding dart board at the moment:(

Hornets will eat fruit, although are you sure what you are seeing aren't larger European wasps which are more common now in numbers? As for the bites from the grass, probably fleas I'd say. They don't just appear on dogs and cats, they are picked up from grassy environments. The only difference is that they don't tend to hang around on us as we aren't very furry! :D

Alex

Here is a nest I found while out stalking last year..........
DSC00314-1.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

We get a few Hornets these days found one in the house and thought not taking any chances so I whacked it :-| just in case it had one of the dogs or Fran :norty:

Here is a nest I found while out stalking last year..........
DSC00314-1.jpg

DSC00315.jpg

Jeeeeeeeeeezus Remington! Either you have balls the size of King Kong or a very good zoom lens. Getting that close definitely constitutes annoying them!!!

Very nice photos by the way

Back