What new rifle to get as first .243??

WillM

I am about to buy my first 243, and already have a S&B 8x56 to sit on it, but am torn between a T3 lite or a Steyr Pro Hunter...any suggestions?

Will. All of the above are good options. It's very unlikely that you will keep your first rifle for ever. I have owned 3 x 243 and 3 x 260. Once you start using it you will see pluses and minuses. My 243 evolution has been Sauer 90, Ruger Mk II, and now Sako 75 as per my gallery. Similarly the 260 has gone from Ruger, to Pro-Hunter to customised Remington by Russell Gall. There isn't a right answer, but until you have experience of using one, you don't really understand all the comments and advice you get. Good luck. JCS

I shoot a steyr pro hunter mk11 in 223, I like the rifle but would not buy another. The sbs is a good feature but main negative is the stock is very flexible.

Keith

Get yourself onto the guntrader web-site and find yourself a good quality second-hand rifle for less than you will pay for a new okay'ish rifle. If you go onto any rifle shooting forum and do a search on the styer pro-hunters, I am sure you will not buy one. There are better actions and rifles to be had.

http://www.guntrader.co.uk/GunsForSale/100709094757606 or there is a Tikka 595 for less than £500.

ft

You wont go far wrong with a T3 there are better rifles out there but I think you would be pressed to get better value for money.

Dave

if it were new id go with another tikkaT3 stainless lite

but if youd like a excellent used one one my website is a mint sako M591 in wood
or the choice of a new or used remmy 700

steve

1. Buy Providers Dad's PH for £100
2. Flog the scope off it for £50
3. Put your S&B on it
4. Bung me £50 for coming up with this idea
5. Spend all of the spare cash you have saved on wine/women/song/ammo
6. In a couple of years, upgrade to a Sako and still get £100 back for the PH.

JC

The Parker Hale idea is spot on - then buy lots of ammo and practice - lots.
Better still use the money saved to buy good used reloading gear (I can help there).

So I see horrid placcy and some stainless steel. Ain't got a clue what it is though :confused: You see not everyone follows the fashion and knows the latest and not so greatest modern doohicky. so for those who don't perhaps it might....................................... just might be a good idea to put what it is. They all look the same to me you see.

Brit, you old cynic. You protesteth too much! I think some times I think you crave a placky rifle on the quiet.:D

Depending on what they want for it the M591 sounds like a good bet to me if you don't mind the tikka trigger, they don't make them like they used to;),i nearlly bought an x-bolt until i stumbled on a L691 deluxe, out fell my tounge and my wallet so glad i found it now just love it,lovely strong actions and not a bit of placcy in sight.
Neil.

Brit, you old cynic. You protesteth too much! I think some times I think you crave a placky rifle on the quiet.:D

Hmm do they burn well then??

Am just thinking about fitting the solid fuel stove instead of the propane gas fire as the gas is too expensive now.

Oh I have had two plastic stocked rifles in the past. A Remington Nylon "Mowhawk" 66 and a CBC copy both were bloody awful and cold slippery and CHEAP. They felt cheap too. That was years ago and not again.

Oh I bloodied the .222 Rem chambered BSA Regent yesterday afternoon around 5pm. The wind was blowing quite hard and the rabbits were staying at around 100 yards and more so a bit far for me and the .22 L/R so I got the .222 out. Sat next to a post and used it to steady the aim and took half a 3/4 grown bucks head off with a 55 grain Nosler ballistic Tip over 19.0 grains of H4198 at 104 paces. No mod so that was it for a while. Looked again about 7:30pm and an full grown one at about 50 yards. Too close for the .222 so I sneaked back to the house and got the BSA Supersport five .22 L/R with mod and put a RWS sub through it's noggin from freestanding and free hand. Going to have to swap the scope back as at the moment it has a 7.5x Menace CSS scope on it that I acquired to try out. I wanted to see what all the fuss was about with Mildot reticlues. It's not a bad scope but I don;t think they are worth what they ask for them new. I picked this one up used. For my bunny bashing out to about 65 yards the old Nikko Platinum 4x40 is all I really need and this 7.5x scope ain't the best for free hand shots like that.

The Menace CSS will probably end up on the target rifle.

Oh I forgot the very first plastic stocked rifle that I ever used was a friends ASI sniper .177" air rifle. The next plastic stocked rifle was the L1A1 in the cadets ;). Even then I preferred the wood stocked ones and if I could would get on a firing point with a real wood one :D.

Back