Unusual calibres for stalking

SpikeD

Hello all

I'm looking to join a deer stalking club as I've had my FAC for many years, it's just that the rifles I have are in slightly less common calibres, namely 7x57 ,7x65R (double) and .318 Nitro accelerated express. Does anyone here use rifles in calibres other than the usual .243, 270" .308" and if so any raised eyebrows with the FEO?

Thanks
Mike

Does 9.5 x 57mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer (aka .375 Nitro Express) count? My local Firearms Department said no for years, but last renewal it went on for "AOLQ" without question. I'm still working up loads for it, and getting lots of practice in with open sights, but one day...

Yes - 9.3x62, 7x57 and 300 Blackout - and no, no issues.

If it meets the relevant criteria within the Deer Act(s) then it would be difficult for any FEO to make an issue of it. BTW an FEO is making enquiries so don't be too worried about what he or she might want you to have. It's your choice and the application will be dealt with by an FLO in the office, so just ask for it to be processed 'as is' if you encounter any difficulties.

I can't imagine an FEO would care in the least what you use, so long as it's clearly deer legal (as yours are) and doesn't sound excessive. I use 6.5x54.
From the perspective of trying to reduce risk to the public in case of theft....the more unusual the calibre, the better.

I’ve had a 45-120 for deer stalking, currently use a 9.3x57 with a spare slot for a new 45-120. As has been said, so long as it’s not excessive in their eyes you’re good to go mate. Even then you can argue your case if it’s an unreasonable standpoint from them.

I've owned and had conditioned for deer 6mm Remington, 6.5x54, . 280 Ross, . 280 Remington, .303 British, 8x57, 8x60S and the usual. 243, .270, . 30-06.

As others said your FEO won't see it as an issue. I'd avoid .318 WR. It's a cartridge for relatively close range, non-dangerous African large sized soft-skinned plains game. It's pointless for British woodland stalking or hill stalking.

Maybe good for boar but there are better modern more widely available. I doubt it'd do much than pencil through a muntjac or small roe.

In fact even 8x57 is a better choice than .318 WR for most, if not all, purposes you'd use a .318 WR.

If you have one... lucky man... enjoy it but like most British "boutique" cartridges its time is passed. And oddball diameter bullet, 250 grains weight. It's obsolete and pointless in today's sport.

I'd not advise anyone to commission a new bespoke one from Westley Richards!

Last edited:
Here we are a lot more liberal in cartridge choices. I've hunted with 11mm Mauser, 44 magnum (handgun) 357 Magnum (handgun and rifle) 32 Winchester Special, 30-40 Krag Jorgensen,38-55, 7.65 Argentine Mauser. 7.5x55.... probably more that I've forgotten. ~Muir

. As others said your FEO won't see it as an issue. I'd avoid .318 WR. It's a cartridge for relatively close range, non-dangerous African large sized soft-skinned plains game. It's pointless for British woodland stalking or hill stalking.

Maybe good for boar but there are better modern more widely available. I doubt it'd do much than pencil through a muntjac or small roe.

Couple things. Firstly it doesn’t have to be used on small deer so that solves that ‘issue’. Secondly, cast bullets could be employed if expansion is not adequate with off the shelf bullets.
I think it would likely be a decent round for woodland stalking and can’t really fathom why you would think otherwise.

Not very unusual for stalking, just a bit scarce in the UK. I've got a 375ruger conditioned for AOLQ, not had chance to use it on anything living yet though.

I still fancy a 244 H&H for the no other reason than there aren't too many out there.

Not sure that helps but can't see why any FLO should get hung-up about something out of the norm so long as it's not been used to bring down helicopters.

K

I still fancy a 244 H&H for the no other reason than there aren't too many out there.

Not sure that helps but can't see why any FLO should get hung-up about something out of the norm so long as it's not been used to bring down helicopters.

K

I'm sure .303brit has brought down aircraft in the past.

K[/QUOTE

A nice David Lloyd rifle in 244 H&H perhaps!!
Im running a 264 winmag and must say i fancy the same caliber David Lloyd rifle!!;)

.300 Weatherby Magnum... not massively rare per se but unusual in the UK.... well... the lack of ammo availability would certainly make it seem so!!!! :rofl:

David Lloyd ? He answered a question no one asked. Building a rifle around the scope mounts, god knows why, i have never had a problem with an reasonable quality mounts.

Back