Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muntjac

Muntjac

After the many many Gold medals that were shot over the years they (The CIC ) upped the standard needING more points and size to score gold do any of you lads that have got old golds feel cheated and would you go back and get them done again and what about the lads that had a low bronze do you still class your head as a medal or not.

Oxfordshire, Wiltshire, Berkshire....and Sutherland
    View my Gallery (19)View my Gallery (19)
    IMHO it doesn't bother me at all - the head is the head is the head I'm more interested in the memories it evokes than the fact that someone, somewhere, once measured it as a gold.

To me any change in the standard is a sign of the fact that muntjac are becoming more established. As a result, there are more muntjac out there and, proportionately, fewer being shot (at least that's my opinion). Therefore more bucks are reaching maturity and correspondingly the number and quality of decent heads is increasing. Unless you're of the opinion that all muntjac should be shot on sight I don't see how this shift in quality is a bad thing? Of course my theory might be complete bo**ocks

willie_gunn
    O wad some Power the giftie gie us to see oursels as ithers see us!

What is the new CIC measurement for muntjac?

First I've heard about it, anyone got details? Nothing on the CIC UK website or in todays Shooting Times. JC

Quote Originally Posted by 6pointer View Post
    After the many many Gold medals that were shot over the years they (The CIC ) upped the standard needING more points and size to score gold do any of you lads that have got old golds feel cheated and would you go back and get them done again and what about the lads that had a low bronze do you still class your head as a medal or not.
    They upped it once a couple of years ago, have they upped it again?

Try going back in history and telling Roger Bannister that the three minute mile was actually crap !

Back then ,the GOLD was just that .The gold medal standard at that time .Why should it not still be a gold ????.

Quote Originally Posted by willie_gunn View Post
    IMHO it doesn't bother me at all - the head is the head is the head I'm more interested in the memories it evokes than the fact that someone, somewhere, once measured it as a gold.

To me any change in the standard is a sign of the fact that muntjac are becoming more established. As a result, there are more muntjac out there and, proportionately, fewer being shot (at least that's my opinion). Therefore more bucks are reaching maturity and correspondingly the number and quality of decent heads is increasing. Unless you're of the opinion that all muntjac should be shot on sight I don't see how this shift in quality is a bad thing? Of course my theory might be complete bo**ocks

willie_gunn
    I agree 100%,and couldn't of put it any better if I tried to...........'M'

2434 you see i dont know if you know this but a second back in the days of roger bannister was one sixtith of a minute and to day unless i am mistaken it is still the same . Was it not a four minute mile i am sure we are still waiting for the 3 mintue mile. The standard was changed a couple of years back for Muntis and it made most golds fall in to the silver band and so on. I am sure i would have been most upset and had my head re assessed and got the correct medal for my trophy.Willie i think the change in the standard was because there was no chalange in getting a munty medal and most fell in to the medal class, a mistake by the CIC maybe on the way they were measured from the start.
    Last edited by 6pointer; 25-08-2010 at 20:35.

exsqueeze me,

is 6 pointer saying its changed lately or two years ago... or even longer ago
    if a car passes an mot today and they change the standard tomorrow its still valid until its next test.
    why remeasure the head.... you have the medal.
    cic made a mistake by setting the bar to low????? cant comment but sure some will

" am sure i would have been most upset and had my head re assessed and got the correct medal for my trophy"

Why would you need the head re-assessed? If it was correct at the time then it deserves the medal of the time .

If it was shot back then but NOT measured.Then tough! You missed out .(a bit like the 3 minute mile )