African swine flu

Boarboy

I was just watching a report on country file about the above subject. I just wondered what people think this might have as an implication for us avid boar hunters?! I say this as on a recent trip to Lithuania it was clear both the disease had reduced wild boar numbers, and also as we found out whilst there, the government had been encouraging local clubs to cull as many boar as possible to curb the spread of disease. Nice of them to tell us that when we were there and not before! Anyway, I see it has spread into Poland, Slovenia? etc I just wonder what other governments approach would be to wild boar populations in attempt to protect their pork industries??

I wonder how many people bring back boar trophies from Countries with ASF. IT can be carried and spread by hunting clothing and car tyres. A very nasty disease. I would not even hunt boar in a country that had ASF

Its a bit of a puzzle why our Government is content to permit the import of potentially infected livestock and meat products from abroad.

Its a bit of a puzzle why our Government is content to permit the import of potentially infected livestock and meat products from abroad.

Yes. And if you travel to places like the U.S, Australia, New Zealand etc the immigration/import questioning is very strict. There seems to be nothing like that when you travel back into the U.K! Traveling to the U.S recently I had all my shoes dissinfected because I live and work on a farm, no complaints from me, actually found it an encouraging sign.

I have recently come back from Lithuania boar hunting & our guide asked my team of guns to shoot all boar that were seen .
he said the main problem they have are dead animals in the forests & other boar are feeding on them , the local hunting clubs are encouraged to burn the bodies or bury them .

a couple of small pigs that were shoot did seem in poor condition , talking to local hunters in the club they did not seem bothered by what was happening in the area . Only our guide was concerned about the situation .

The Czech Republic are going balls out to decimate them at the moment and now the disease is only 300km from Bavaria.

Back