Bullet advice

I think one of the problems with the SST is the shape of the ogive. It's very narrow to start with & that means it is impossible to load it close to the rifling in many rifles.
I recall a mate's .270 needing the bullets seated with the cannelure completely exposed to get anywhere near, to the point where there was barely a calibre of bullet left in the neck - OK for targets but not so much for the possible rough handling & multiple chambering of hunting ammunition.
They shot very well set 0.01" off the rifling but when seated to the cannelure (about 0.05" deeper), accuracy fell off significantly.

I think one of the problems with the SST is the shape of the ogive. It's very narrow to start with & that means it is impossible to load it close to the rifling in many rifles.
I recall a mate's .270 needing the bullets seated with the cannelure completely exposed to get anywhere near, to the point where there was barely a calibre of bullet left in the neck - OK for targets but not so much for the possible rough handling & multiple chambering of hunting ammunition.
They shot very well set 0.01" off the rifling but when seated to the cannelure (about 0.05" deeper), accuracy fell off significantly.

Not required
No factory rifle requires bullets loaded at the lands to produce accurate ammunition.

If they are only shooting accurately at 10 thou off the lands there may be other issues

So long as you have a full calibre depth of shank in the neck you should have no issues with concentricity.

The cannelure is as much a crimp into the bullet jacket as a function of the interlock ring as it is a location for a neck crimp, but its perfectly normal for it to be exposed.

Not required
No factory rifle requires bullets loaded at the lands to produce accurate ammunition.

If they are only shooting accurately at 10 thou off the lands there may be other issues

So long as you have a full calibre depth of shank in the neck you should have no issues with concentricity.

The cannelure is as much a crimp into the bullet jacket as a function of the interlock ring as it is a location for a neck crimp, but its perfectly normal for it to be exposed.

So I have a question off the back of that if I may?

I'd worked up some pretty accurate home loads with 165gn Interbond and then subsequently had problems with just neck sizing the cases on reloading. Now I am full length sizing and have a proper press which I seat way more accurately with so how best should I proceed from here do you think?

1) Load up an average charge or RS52 (EG; 43.5gn) with bullets seated a 2.75" (Hornady's recommended COAL for this bullet), 2.76", 2.77" etc etc until I get to 2.8" (SAAMI max) and see which is the most accurate seating depth, then tweak the load?

Or 2) Assume that 2.75" is the best bet and stick with that, and then just work a load up?

Just interested in your thoughts! :)

For saving time and money in development and subsequent reloading I went for the OCW method. As I have a Chronograph (Courtesy of Ed above) I didn't need to shoot a ladder test at 300m. Found the optimum charge weight in 10 rounds, double check with a group of 5 at the chosen charge weight loaded to SAAMI OAL. If they group fine then all is done if not tweak seating depth to close the group up. Max 30 rounds but more like 20-25

I went out to Morton range today to try the Federal and Winchester. I initially zeroed with the Winchester but finished off with the Federal 150g Power shok. The Winchester were about 1.5 inch at 100m where as the Federal were just under and inch for 5 shots.

I dont use a .308 but for my .270 I like HEAVY FOR CALIBER rounds for smaller deer such as roe and fallow, the lighter rounds are traveling so fast they expand too violently when they hit and make a huge mess even with the best placed shots, for hinds I use a medium for caliber round (130gr) as I find that gives good expansion, puts the beast down quickly and allows you to get consecutive shots off in some cases. Federal power shok is usually quite good stuff, give norma a go if your budget allows, I tend to use Fed. red box, i think it is called vital shok.

Thanks for all you replies, I went up to Thurso on Thursday and Friday for some Hinds. The first day I used the .243 and used my normal 100g power shoks, I shot 2 hinds and neither ran more than a couple of yards. Next day I used the .308 and had 4 hinds again no runners with the 15gg power shoks,

So I have a question off the back of that if I may?

I'd worked up some pretty accurate home loads with 165gn Interbond and then subsequently had problems with just neck sizing the cases on reloading. Now I am full length sizing and have a proper press which I seat way more accurately with so how best should I proceed from here do you think?

1) Load up an average charge or RS52 (EG; 43.5gn) with bullets seated a 2.75" (Hornady's recommended COAL for this bullet), 2.76", 2.77" etc etc until I get to 2.8" (SAAMI max) and see which is the most accurate seating depth, then tweak the load?

Or 2) Assume that 2.75" is the best bet and stick with that, and then just work a load up?

Just interested in your thoughts! :)

Depending on the rifle, cartridge and the bullet I load all the charge development loads to the same length
A minimum of one calibre depth of straight shank or the recommended OAL

This is hard on light for cartridge larger calibres (90gr .270 for example!)
Factory rifles are all throated to take the largest available bullet in factory ammo
In some cartridges this is a very large range and chasing the lands at a lower weight is futile
(.308 for example, 110gr to 180 or 220gr, .243 - 55gr to 105gr)

Powder makers book data shows a range of velocities achieved

N5502,2134.178725822,4838.38852904
MV range of 2592 to 2904 using 34.1-38.3gr N550 in 243 with a 100gr bullet

You probably want to be up above 2807fps in order to achieve the 1750ftlbs so loads in the 34.1-36 range are unlikely to be of value
I whizz through these lower charges with single rounds checking for pressure
above 36gr and up to 38.3 I am looking for accuracy nodes
using 0.3/0/4gr increments initially

usually two, one lower likely around the 36.5 mark and one higher near the limit.

ordinarily you can see a clear shrinking in group size at those two nodes.
Once you have decided on a node, I tend to go back and "bracket" that charge weight
Lets say 37.8 is the best group and you were using 0.3gr increments

37.5 and 38.1 either side are discounted
drop down to 0.1 or 0.2gr either side
37.6 and 38.0 or 37.7gr and 37.9gr

If the group improves, great
If not stick with your first "best charge"

Once you have this charge you can tweak the OAL either side of the initial OAL, I tend to go with 0.2mm or roughly 8 thou
Not sure I can accurately and repeatedly measure and reproduce anything smaller than that and I am not entirely sure it matters in factory rifles....

in practice for stalking loads I skip an awful lot of the above
15 rounds
choose the smallest group. anything inside 1" at 100yds is better than most people can replicate in the field
Load it
Shoot it

Federal seem a good starting point in any calibre. Work well and not carrying gold plated prices.
I would like to know which manufacturers Bullets they use in their ammo.
I believe Power Shok are Sierra Gameking, and Vital Shok are Nosler Partition.
My choice would be the Vital Shok.

As for SST's, if i intend selling to a game dealer, i personally wouldn't use them, too much meat damage.

But as others have said, try some differing options, but don't chase the 'cloverleaf', deer don't have cloverleaf hearts!

Cheers

Richard

rws do a 20 round box with five loaded rounds of four bullets of differing weights so buy on 20 round box and try five different loads.that will at least let you know if your rifle has a bullet weight preference

Back