Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: land

land

Ok your advice please

i was just talking to a keeper i know who works on a estate nr welshpool
    i was fishing to see if there was any stalking, and this was his reply

" No one stalks the estate ( 7000 acres ) we dont have any deer to stalk"

Now i have seen roe on the estate, (in what numbers i dont know) One tenant farmer i spoke to said he had seen munty although i dont know if this is acurate or not.

The keepers are only intrested in their bird shoot the estate holds all shooting rights

so i geuss my question is how do you think i should move forward with this situation

Advice please

Joe

Go back and offer him money for the stalking if you have seen Roe then there are a good few if a few muntys have been seen there there are lots . Settle for a cheap price and if there are only a few deer be very selective with your stalking it will not be long before they have plenty to stalk. PS A WEE WALK ROUND WITH A LAMP WILL TELL YOU THE FULL STORY.

hi,

i would personally suggest you offer to shoot his foxes for him for free.
    once you do that and establish there is deer request that you shoot the odd deer.
    i certainly would not go in offering monies at this stage.
    a wee bottle of gods finest is a good door opener.
    if you are successful on the foxes and then get a deer, the decent thing, would be too offer financial rewards at that point..
    the costs of shooting foxes are high to us and although we enjoy it there is no reason why it should be freely given away..

thats what i would do...
    just dont be greedy mate. share with the land owner/estate manager and then he will be fair with you.

atb f.

ps personally i wouldn't tell a soul there was 7000 acres un-touched by stalkers... to many far too eager to jump in your coffin mate....

all the same good hunting
    Last edited by centralbeltstalker; 25-08-2010 at 14:45. Reason: grammar

Account Suspended
    i'd be very surprised if any keeper is going to let you go shoot foxes if they don't know you, I certainly wouldn't.
    Ask him if you can go beating for him and get to know him that way, if you get on well ask him if you can go lamping with him one night as chief gate opener.
    from litte acorns.............

Keeper can be a funny crowd (not in a bad way) its their ground and their birds, and some keepers have no interest in deer what so ever. Big rifle going off in the early hours unsettling all his birds.................... no way.

Thats how some see it, but not all.

Depends on how well you know the man, you could offer your services for the foxing, you could also approach his boss and ask about the stalking and propose a meeting between you all. Either way you might need to be careful, just in case your keeper friend thinks you have gone behind his back. Be open and honest is my moto, ask him if you can meet up for a chat over a pint, it really is about feeling your way without trying to step on peoples feet sometimes. You could offer to beat for him this season, you will soon see what there is on the ground and then maybe make an approach, once he has got to know you better.

Best of luck, hope you have some success

Sikamalc

I'm already beating/picking up for him when this season starts
    Although it's early days as we only met a few months ago i have offerd to shoot fox also
    I get the feeling he is waiting to suss me out for a season
    he really dose not seem to have any interest in deer at all, i geuss its going to be slowly slowly
    as i dont want to rock the boat by going straight to the land agent

Joe,

Don't even contemplate going over the keepers head mate, follow what sikamalc says.

f.

Account Suspended
    Quote Originally Posted by joelewis1971 View Post
    I'm already beating/picking up for him when this season starts
    Although it's early days as we only met a few months ago i have offerd to shoot fox also
    I get the feeling he is waiting to suss me out for a season
    he really dose not seem to have any interest in deer at all, i geuss its going to be slowly slowly
    as i dont want to rock the boat by going straight to the land agent
    Then you'll soon see how many deer are on the ground and if it's worth approaching anybody.
    Offeer your services for dogging in pre season, it's a job us keepers have to do but don't like to much.

No i wont go over his head
    i just dont no of the best way to move forward other than get a season under my belt and see where that leads
    I cant belive no one has stalked the estate for at least the last 3 yrs as this is how long he has been running things

Joe

Some good advice in the previous posts! Beating for the keeper, doing odd jobs to help out when he's busy are all good thoughts to keep in your head.

If you get past the holding hands stage and he allows you to stalk, say to him that if he wants you to, you will always shoot a fox if it presents itself rather than wait for a deer. He might appreciate it! A bottle of the good stuff at Christmas, presents of venison nicely prepared and presented are all good ideas even if you end up paying for the stalking. Venison for the neighbours helps too, just to introduce yourself and your vehicle, and to tell people you will be about at odd times.

Best of luck!

ft
    Blindness to suffering is an inherent consequence of natural selection. Nature is neither kind nor cruel but fiercely indifferent.